logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
robertbrichter  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 28, 2008 6:28:27 PM(UTC)
robertbrichter

I am noticing that Viacad mating all looked nice and all, but once a part gets out of square with global X/Y/Z, mating won't work anymore, forcing mating with transform and rotate. If it is mathematically difficult to know how to move a part out of square and have former mates still work, I would think we should at least have the option of setting up the workgrid for mating, but even squaring up the work grid first still won't make the mate work.
robertbrichter  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 28, 2008 8:59:01 PM(UTC)
robertbrichter

It appears that when I mate by drawing lines and then grouping one or more objects together, that undo causes problems with groups. I have now learned that if a translate or rotate command snaps somewhere I wasn't expecting, don't hit undo, or the parts and lines in the group will act up. Just try again to rope the pieces into place. I have build 777.
robertbrichter  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 30, 2008 1:47:20 PM(UTC)
robertbrichter

Once I removed all links from my drawing so that all solids were ACIS solids, then I can align at odd angles. There is something about instant parts with mate/transpose/rotate that seems to confuse the program. It's appearing that the best way to avoid bugs is to remove links after placement. I tried forcing resolve links in case some outdated information was causing the alignment to fail, and I couldn't get it to work. What's even stranger, is the two failed parts that wouldn't mate were already stand-alone ACIS solids, but once ALL parts were converted to stand-alone ACIS solids, then mating at odd angles worked.