logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
daleroe  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 8:21:45 PM(UTC)
daleroe

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm making a model of the fuel bladder cavity inside an aluminum monocoque. The cavity is large enough that with careful placement I can capture most of the surfaces with the microscribe. What I can't capture I plan to mirror since it is symmetrical side to side. I've not been able to get satisfactory results using the microscribe within Shark FX so I created a spreadsheet, formatted the data, and imported as a spline. Since 3 points can define a plane I picked three points on each surface which the spline data was created from. After importing the spline I used the points in order, 3 at a time, to create a three point circle for each plane. The result is very confusing so I created layers for each plane or element enabling me to turn off the confusion.

My plan was to increase the circle diameters much larger than needed, create surfaces, mirror as required and create the model. I tried this on a 2-4-6 block with reasonable results. I'm lost with the complexity of the shape I'm trying to create and I am limited by my lack of experience dealing with surfaces. I need some general direction and tips how to proceed. The trim doesn't seem to work with varied diameter circles, the fillet surface seems to delete previously filleted parts and it gets confusing really fast with surface/surface intersections. I'm willing to start over if there is a better approach. I appreciate your input and suggestions. Thank you.
-dale
File Attachment(s):
FuelCell_2014_06_05.sfx (31kb) downloaded 37 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
HP Z800 Dual Xeon 5690 3.46Ghz 64GB
nVidia Quadro 6000 6GB
Win pro 7-64
SharkCAD Pro v10.0.0 B1354
Shark FX v9.0.4 B1162
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2014 11:16:45 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I used a variation of your method, putting a sphere that envelopes the Spline and points. Then I progressively cast a cover surface for each circle in turn, then enlarging the circles. The covers are associated and enlarge with their circle. Then I used push/pull to extrude each cover surface outward and subtracted it from the sphere, then hid each circle and surface remnant to reduce the clutter. It worked quite well, except that there were three points left outlying from the cavity shape and two edges that look as if they ought to be symmetrical aren't. It's confusing because there's no datum, so orientation isn't obvious but it worked..