logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
API  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:55:04 PM(UTC)
API

I have trouble with the Loft Solid command. First I tried to loft a rectangle to an ellipse and got unacceptable results. Then I tried a rounded rectangle. See the picture. Two of the opposite corners are correct and two have folded back on themselves.

Patrick
API attached the following image(s):
Overlap.jpg (62kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:14:39 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
API wrote:
I have trouble with the Loft Solid command. First I tried to loft a rectangle to an ellipse and got unacceptable results. Then I tried a rounded rectangle. See the picture. Two of the opposite corners are correct and two have folded back on themselves.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

If you send me the file, I'll on this end.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tem  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 27, 2008 11:53:12 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
My experience with other CAD programs might offer a solution.
make sure that there are an equal number of points in both objects using the white cursor. You might add a few points to the oval. I know that it should not work this way but this is one technique I have had success with building surface and solids geometry with other projects in the past. Also, strangely changing the pick order sometimes will get you a better solution. Thats about it from me for now. Good Luck to you!
Tem
API  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 27, 2008 6:44:47 PM(UTC)
API

I sent the file to Tim. I'll be interested to see what he thinks.

I agree that in most programs equal entities and the pick order is very important. There is often a lengthy discussion about how to do this. Shark seems more flexible but the resulting solid contains inconsistencies. If the Shark or ACIS can't create the correct item, it should error not create a bad solid.

Patrick
API  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 9, 2008 7:26:26 PM(UTC)
API

Tim,
Did you get a chance to look at this file? I'd like to be able to model and machine shapes like this.

Patrick
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:39:57 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
API wrote:
Tim,
Did you get a chance to look at this file? I'd like to be able to model and machine shapes like this.

Patrick

Hi Patrick

Attached is my attempt to control the skinning between sections. I made both curves splines in the same direction with similar projected starting locations. By default, the skin solid uses Arc Length Parameterization (hit option key to see the options). By making the skin between two spline curves, ACIS was able to control the parameterizaton between the two sections better.

ACIS has a version of the skinning api's that let you specify how one section matches to the next section. I may need to expose a user interface to that to get more control between sections.

Tim
File Attachment(s):
Skin.sfx (615kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Steve.M  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2008 12:48:41 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Patrick,

API wrote:

Patrick
Any chance of you posting the origin model/curves etc. I am interested in looking at such to see what can be done in Viacad/shark. (I would not know what changes have been made in the reply/model)

- Steve