logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
unique  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 3:33:44 PM(UTC)
unique

According to the manual I have VC only supports upto V3. I can import data from V4 but it is not always consistent, can somebody please comment on the level of compatibility / translators Rhino V4 >> VC ??

TIA
Steve.M  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2008 9:02:01 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Paul,

Could you not save the Rhino files in version 3 format?

When exporting from Rhino the difference from Rhino 4 to Rhino 3 files is:-

Quote:
Saving Version 3
When saving Rhino V4.0 files to Rhino V3 files, the following changes take place:
V4.0 layers, materials, and object attributes are saved in simpler V3 formats.
The following data is not saved:
History information.
Advanced texture mapping information.
Custom display information.
User data.
unique  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2008 9:49:31 AM(UTC)
unique

Hi Steve,

Thanks. Yes I could including V2 but I just wondered if the translators are being kept 'up-to-date'. I see work done in releases for ai and stuff so I thought I would ask for Rhino users like me ;)
Steve.M  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2008 10:16:31 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
Thanks. Yes I could including V2 but I just wondered if the translators are being kept 'up-to-date'.

V2?

I do not know how Rhino developers release the file format to other vendors. The most I see is a version 3 support from 3rd party.

My thoughts are only as the possible limitations of Viacad to import current supported version V3.

- Steve
unique  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2008 10:44:38 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
V2?

I do not know how Rhino developers release the file format to other vendors. The most I see is a version 3 support from 3rd party.

My thoughts are only as the possible limitations of Viacad to import current supported version V3.

- Steve

I believe McNeel make it freely available for other vendors to be able to support .3dm (I think it's called opennurbs)

VC probably only supports V3 as it possible to export V3 from Rhino4. It will be another 12-18mnths before we see V5 released...if not longer so I would hope VC might support V4 before that!!
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2008 12:21:15 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
According to the manual I have VC only supports upto V3. I can import data from V4 but it is not always consistent, can somebody please comment on the level of compatibility / translators Rhino V4 >> VC ??

TIA

Hi Paul

We are using OpenNurbs 4.0 which supports Rhino V4 files. If is a file does not import, please send. We sometimes find Rhino tolerances don't heal/repair to our tolerances. In that case, I recommend STEP as it has some good built in heal capabilities.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
unique  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2008 4:24:59 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
Hi Paul

We are using OpenNurbs 4.0 which supports Rhino V4 files. If is a file does not import, please send. We sometimes find Rhino tolerances don't heal/repair to our tolerances. In that case, I recommend STEP as it has some good built in heal capabilities.

Tim

Thanks for the reply Tim, has this been since 767 ?

Nick came to our place for a Shark demo and I recall it not liking some surfaces made in Rhino. I model at 0.001mm but I know ACIS is much more critical.

If the simple basic tools in VC such as trim & extend worked as they should I would have no need to use Rhino which is a million times better:rolleyes:

--Added support for line weight display options. Display as printed, Display View Scaled, and Ignore Weight. Options located in the Preferences:Display settings""

Sorry but IMHO this type of development is secondary compared to fixing the basic tools that are badly lacking.....:rolleyes:
Tim Olson  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2008 7:08:04 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>Thanks for the reply Tim, has this been since 767 ?

Yes, long before. I believe we added before Rhino 4 was released. OpenNurbs 4.0 was available before Rhino 4 if I recall.

>>If the simple basic tools in VC such as trim & extend worked as they should

I'm not aware of any outstanding bugs with trim, I thought we fixed the bugs you submitted. Many thanks for providing such good examples to improve the trim tool.

The extend trim option is working as designed. However, I understand you would like a new tool dedicated for extending without trimming. The one case where the trim extend will not work is where you have the extend line such that it then intersects multiple times through the selected curve. In this case the Trim logic of the Trim/Extend tool takes effect.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
unique  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2008 3:11:54 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
>>Thanks for the reply Tim, has this been since 767 ?

Yes, long before. I believe we added before Rhino 4 was released. OpenNurbs 4.0 was available before Rhino 4 if I recall.

>>If the simple basic tools in VC such as trim & extend worked as they should

I'm not aware of any outstanding bugs with trim, I thought we fixed the bugs you submitted. Many thanks for providing such good examples to improve the trim tool.

The extend trim option is working as designed. However, I understand you would like a new tool dedicated for extending without trimming. The one case where the trim extend will not work is where you have the extend line such that it then intersects multiple times through the selected curve. In this case the Trim logic of the Trim/Extend tool takes effect.

Tim

My plan is to use VC for the most of what we do and just use Rhino for the complex modeling which is not currently possible in any of Punch's products.
I had an issue with some surfaces (I believe Nick sent you the file ?) but since then I have used ACIS (Inventor format) which works well:)

Ohhh by the way there are still problems with trim, I would have attached a file for you and other users to comment but I am still strugglin to upload a sausage ?

I hope you will consider a dedicated extend tool in the following beta's ?

Thank You