logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
unique  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:56:29 AM(UTC)
unique

Tim/Ryan,

The Saga still goes on....

See attached image and following steps

1) Create a Smart Polygon
2) Create a vertical single line originating from centre of Polygon going outside
3) Try to trim the line to the polygon - Fails

Also, trimming a smart polygon to another smart polygon - Fails

I know that by exploding the item into entities it works but this shouldnt be necessary in a product like this:cool:

I think some internal exploding etc is in order and maybe a message window with words to that effect ;)
unique attached the following image(s):
trimming.jpg (34kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Steve.M  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2009 11:22:55 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The trimming is a joke. I am getting various failures, even on simple Interpolate splines where if I attempt to trim I just get an "Invalid trim/break"

Bells and wistles being added to shark do not cover up these basic problems. Neither does ignoring posts concerning these bugs.

- Steve
unique  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 9:49:41 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
The trimming is a joke. I am getting various failures, even on simple Interpolate splines where if I attempt to trim I just get an "Invalid trim/break"

Bells and wistles being added to shark do not cover up these basic problems. Neither does ignoring posts concerning these bugs.

- Steve

Yup...I know.

Please post your geometry mate and lets see if its similar to the issues I face with trim ;)
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:25:46 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Guys, if you select all (highlight to red), then use the trim tool- it works as expected (I just tried two smart polygons over each other like you said Paul, and used the above suggested method. It again worked as expected).

I think trim tools on the whole, in CAD, are bad- unless you are using Solidworks, which work quite well. Have you guys ever tried using AutoCAD's trim tools? These are even worse that VC's!
unique  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:39:51 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Guys, if you select all (highlight to red), then use the trim tool- it works as expected (I just tried two smart polygons over each other like you said Paul, and used the above suggested method. It again worked as expected).

I think trim tools on the whole, in CAD, are bad- unless you are using Solidworks, which work quite well. Have you guys ever tried using AutoCAD's trim tools? These are even worse that VC's!

Hmmmm..are you sure it is a "smart" polygon...Tom ?

No difference here with VC Pro build...pls explain what you are doing to make it work
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:54:29 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Yes Paul. Smart polygons. I have no problem with trimming these whatsoever. I do have the pop-up prompt- which you mention, but I just click 'okay' and everything works as expected. Perhaps I misunderstand you? :confused:

Steve, I've noticed that Tim ignores you/us if we have simply made a mistake and have misread the details. But I think this outlines a problem- and that the details- for eg in particular the manual, is badly written, ie there are a definite lack of exercises or examples in how to achieve basic results. Movie files are okay to a point, but don't really help as sometimes they go to fast, especially as you can't see what's being inputted on the keyboard.

Tom
ttrw  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:56:52 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
pls explain what you are doing to make it work

erm, I thought I just did?

Double click the select tool- which highlights all entities, then use the trim tool to erase the ones/ entities you don't need.

This process works EXACTLY in the same manner as Solidworks' trim tool. :)
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 2:12:28 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Got it to work yet?
blowlamp  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 3:28:22 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Tom.
Well I'm really intrigued with this because your method doesn't work for me on smart polygons.
Do you think it works for you because you have an Apple? :eek:

Martin.
ttrw  
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 3:40:12 PM(UTC)
ttrw

:confused:

Well it should work the same regardless of platforms right?

It followed Paul's steps exactly, I also drew two smart polygons- different types. I double-clicked the black arrow on the tool palette, to select all entities, and trimmed off the entities to make a new polygon made from all the other polygons, and took out the entities I didn't need. Then I opened the drawing by erasing the top line and replaced it with a point to poiunt circle, then did the same trim method and made a nice pattern. Then using the extrude tool, made a solid, with a boss, and cut through that using booleans to make a hole. (oh yes, and added a couple of fillets).

Here....
ttrw  
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 3:42:27 PM(UTC)
ttrw

....and a screenshot with pallettes.
ttrw attached the following image(s):
screenshot 13.jpg (20kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

unique  
#12 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 4:03:33 PM(UTC)
unique

I just hate how these perfectly good constructive posts end up a complete and utter mess:mad::mad:

Tom - You are not following my post because it doesnt work !!
blowlamp  
#13 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 4:15:53 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

One thing's for sure Tom, and that is that it doesn't work in the same way as trimming anything else. Still no worky here :confused:
jdi000  
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 4:16:51 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
I think Paul's first post explains it in detail Smart Polygons cannot be trimmed probably on purpose. Can't speak for Tim & Co., but IMO you probably don't want smart polygons getting trimmed unless its user initiated as Paul talks about them getting converted to lines internally which would break up the polygon to lines, this could be a warning message to proceed with trim and break up polygons.

The trim tools have had quite a few improvements lately and if Steve posts some geometry that failing I sure it could be fixed.

Jason
Windows 11, 10
ttrw  
#15 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 5:35:12 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
I just hate how these perfectly good constructive posts end up a complete and utter mess:mad::mad:

Tom - You are not following my post because it doesnt work !!

You don't have to be impatient and rude Paul, but yes, you are right, and I was wrong- I was following your post but I had missed the type of polygon mode box. So I am sorry for that.

I hadn't noticed the difference between single line mode and and smart polygon mode, until Jason suggested that smart polygons can't be modified for a reason- so yes I would tend to agree with what Jason has stated in his post. Isn't this to do with re-dimensioning a polygon after it has been drawn in the object info window? If you were to cut into a smart polygon, you would loose this dimensioning (unless perhaps if you had a parametric constraint attached to it?). However, using single line mode, works with the trim method I described above. I suppose it is exactly there where you would apply constraints, so dimensions could be modified afterwards.

I'm very, very close to buying my own seat of Shark, so I too want to make sure that this stuff work before I shell out 900+ Hence trying to help retrace your steps.

regards,

Tom
Tim Olson  
#16 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 7:13:40 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>1) Create a Smart Polygon
>>2) Create a vertical single line originating from centre of Polygon going >>outside
>>3) Try to trim the line to the polygon - Fails
>>Also, trimming a smart polygon to another smart polygon - Fails

Yup, the trim tool was designed to work with curves.

>>I think some internal exploding etc is in order

Yes good idea. For trimming to a polygon, we could look into internally exploding the polygon and trimming to the resulting curves.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#17 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2009 7:15:08 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>Please post your geometry mate and lets see if its similar to the issues I >>face with trim

Many thanks to Paul for the trimming examples and movies he has provided via the forum and private email!

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Steve.M  
#18 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 1:05:04 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

A simple Interpolate closed spline, attempt to trim = error
Steve.M attached the following image(s):
2009-05-04_080159.jpg (13kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Steve.M  
#19 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 1:08:46 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Here is the simple example.

This is from VC 2d/3d 833
File Attachment(s):
trim.vc3 (12kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

Steve.M  
#20 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2009 1:39:49 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Steve, I've noticed that Tim ignores you/us if we have simply made a mistake and have misread the details.

I disagree.

One simple example. I made a bug report of problems with offsets:- http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=1469

There was no reply from Tim. Are you saying that was not a bug and it was error from me?
It is now fixed, but shows your comment as incorrect.

- Steve