logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
unique  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 5:36:00 PM(UTC)
unique

I would like to see snaps such as centre in the snaps box and so the option to turn them off is there. When the snaps box is open I would like to be able to RMB click over say the Midpoint tickbox and only that be left available, instead of doing so many check/unchecks?

Take a look at the example avi, it shows a 2d profile being centred using tracking & combo snaps such as Between. I may be using the current snaps incorrectly so I would like for someone to explain or showme a video of how to centre the part attached.

[URL="http://www.4shared.com/file/89879761/10ee4c71/Centre.html"]http://www.4shared.com/file/89879761/10ee4c71/Centre.html[/URL]

TIA
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 9:07:53 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post

Take a look at the example avi, it shows a 2d profile being centred using tracking & combo snaps such as Between. I may be using the current snaps incorrectly so I would like for someone to explain or showme a video of how to centre the part attached.

http://www.4shared.com/file/89879761/10ee4c71/Centre.html

TIA

HI, Paul

Here is my 2 cents... how I would do it. Only need vertex snap to center object. ;)

Regards
Jason
File Attachment(s):
center2dobjectji.zip (659kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
howtocentreji.vc3 (22kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
unique  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2009 6:26:23 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
HI, Paul

Here is my 2 cents... how I would do it. Only need vertex snap to center object. ;)

Regards
Jason

Thank You Jason;)

I was trying to illustrate using snaps and how "between" snaps can be used...your method is also doo--able in Rhino but using the centre snap from a bbox (planar curve) and moving to 0,0. I think there should be a centre snap for smart polygons in VC....currently it shows endpoint snap:confused: for the centre, anyway - See link for avi below if you are interested

Actually I had tried this method a while ago when I wanted to do something similar....but the results were unpredictable.

A closer look reveals there is a bug with BBox in that it doesn't seem to extract the data from the nurbs object...instead it uses graphical feedback. That is to say when you change the resolution of the curves the bbox size goes with it, hence why I could never get the results I needed.

Tim- Whilst fixing this can you also add a mechanism for planar curves when finding its bbox, If the objects are contained in a plane parallel to a coordinate system plane, the bounding box should be a rectangular polyline otherwise a polsurface/solid box is created ??? Please!

Link to centre using bbox & centre snap [URL="http://www.4shared.com/file/89966494/4b05f02b/centre-ph.html"]http://www.4shared.com/file/89966494/4b05f02b/centre-ph.html[/URL]
unique  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 7, 2009 6:28:54 AM(UTC)
unique

Quote:
A closer look reveals there is a bug with BBox in that it doesn't seem to extract the data from the nurbs object...instead it uses graphical feedback. That is to say when you change the resolution of the curves the bbox size goes with it, hence why I could never get the results I needed.

Tim- Whilst fixing this can you also add a mechanism for planar curves when finding its bbox, If the objects are contained in a plane parallel to a coordinate system plane, the bounding box should be a rectangular polyline otherwise a polsurface/solid box is created ??? Please!

Anyone else seeing this :confused:?
unique  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 8, 2009 3:40:08 PM(UTC)
unique

I would like to see centre snap on smart "closed" polygons. There is no reason it shouldn't work for basic rectangles rather than using tracking (Area centroid would do it) ?. Rhino goes one step further and can also find centre snap of non planar polygons using averages of vertex locations:cool::cool: