logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
unique  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2009 7:45:09 AM(UTC)
unique

Tim/Ryan,

See the model attached. Im trying to do vertex chamfer on the points opposite to the green ones already there but im getting error message "floating point overflow" and it fails, what is wrong here ??

Actually my aim is to create a chamfered edge like in the image attached, I would have thought using length & setback would give me this but it produces a rounded version which is not what I want. Can you include an option to produce like my image as I think this is most common ?

Also, can we have the facility to pick multiple vertex, this will save time and reduce overhead in the tree... ?
File Attachment(s):
vertexcham.vc3 (85kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
unique attached the following image(s):
ChamferSetback.jpg (36kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
NickB  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2009 12:52:40 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Paul,
I get the same result of a round between the chamfers when I add a setback. Without the setback I get the expected flat chamfer at the corner. The setback chamfer also appears to have crease lines in it (not good).

The good thing about this tool weirdness is that it would be hard to get the result it does give you, and is easy to construct the more expected behavior.

Picking multiple vertexes:
How is this different than picking multiple edges so that you get a single feature for multiple picks ?

What I really want is the ability to edit multiple edges simultaneously in the Object Info Data box.
NickB attached the following image(s):
screenshot_01.jpg (11kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
screenshot_02.jpg (10kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
screenshot_03.png (15kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
unique  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2009 3:09:14 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
Paul,
I get the same result of a round between the chamfers when I add a setback. Without the setback I get the expected flat chamfer at the corner. The setback chamfer also appears to have crease lines in it (not good).

The good thing about this tool weirdness is that it would be hard to get the result it does give you, and is easy to construct the more expected behavior.

How is this different than picking multiple edges so that you get a single feature for multiple picks ?

What I really want is the ability to edit multiple edges simultaneously in the Object Info Data box.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your input.

The current method when using setback can create a very complex patch in the corner which as you say can sometimes look un-smooth. This result could be used which was why I asked for the additional option...I can see people using this for rendering and such like...

Quote:

Maybe I am missing something but currently the Vertex chamfer accepts only one input at a time ?. I would like to pick more than one 'vertex' so that its easier to modify 4-6 corners in one shot....does that make sense ?

Quote:

Not sure I understand you.....are you referring to vertex chamfer or ??. That is the reason I want to pick 4,5,6 vertex' to chamfer then have the ability to change just one in the history...who wants to edit 6 different features when you can do just one :rolleyes::rolleyes:
NickB  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:39:23 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It is inconsistent that you cant pick multiple vertex's, but can pick multiple edges to create a single feature in the history tree. \

However even with a single feature in the feature tree you cant edit / change multiple values simultaneously and have to mouse (not tab) from one entry to the next in the info data to change each one.
NickB attached the following image(s):
screenshot_10.jpg (17kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
jdi000  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2009 11:08:49 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
HI, Nick

If you select a chamfer/radius on a model that has many in the set like you show no you can't change them in the object info boxes all at once but you can change in the data entry fields and all fillets or chamfers created together will change, and they will change by the same value, but you can at least update all at once as long as you want all to be same value.

Regards

Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
change set of chamfers in data entry window.jpg (31kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

Windows 11, 10
unique  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 3:50:50 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
It is inconsistent that you cant pick multiple vertex's, but can pick multiple edges to create a single feature in the history tree. \

Yes im aware of that Nick, I am also aware that picking a face is faster in some cases and that also leaves one thing to modify in object info ;)

Quote:
HI, Nick

If you select a chamfer/radius on a model that has many in the set like you show no you can't change them in the object info boxes all at once but you can change in the data entry fields and all fillets or chamfers created together will change, and they will change by the same value, but you can at least update all at once as long as you want all to be same value.

Regards

Jason

Hi Jason,

Im not seeing that here, I mean not unless it was the last created feature. I suspect there is a bug here somewhere because this doesnt work with blends....window selecting the whole model does not bring that feature up along the top :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There should be a global setting in object info for all edges OR better still the ability to shift select all the edges in that window:cool:
jdi000  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 8:25:13 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post

Im not seeing that here, I mean not unless it was the last created feature. I suspect there is a bug here somewhere because this doesnt work with blends....window selecting the whole model does not bring that feature up along the top :rolleyes::rolleyes:

HI, Paul

You have to select one of the chamfered or radius edges on the model itself you might have to rotate the model around and click select one or two times but clicking in the middle of a chamfer or radius will bring the info up in the data entry at the top and you can change from there radius/length & setback regardless of when the feature was created. It doesn't work from the feature tree because as you said if you select a feature in the tree it does not bring the applicable info up in the data entry at the top it always brings up the last created feature. I am not sure if its meant to be this way or not?

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
unique  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 11:00:25 AM(UTC)
unique

Quote:
You have to select one of the chamfered or radius edges on the model itself you might have to rotate the model around and click select one or two times but clicking in the middle of a chamfer or radius will bring the info up in the data entry at the top

Jason - Glad we discussed this....this strange sequence of deselecting then double clicking a particluar part of the model doesnt work for blends anyway ?

Expected behavior to me me would be pick part (anywhere), goto explorer & pick feature, then edit from object info(only)...simple.

What next..jumping thru hoops :D:rolleyes:
Tim Olson  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 4:45:51 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>See the model attached. Im trying to do vertex chamfer on the points >>opposite to the green ones already there but im getting error message >>"floating point overflow" and it fails, what is wrong here ??

Repeated, found and fixed in next build.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
unique  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 6:01:32 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
>>See the model attached. Im trying to do vertex chamfer on the points >>opposite to the green ones already there but im getting error message >>"floating point overflow" and it fails, what is wrong here ??

Repeated, found and fixed in next build.

Tim

Thanks Tim.

I take back my request for another option on the chamfer with setback, there are many options for chamfering which when combined can give the desired effect.;)

Quote:
Jason - Glad we discussed this....this strange sequence of deselecting then double clicking a particluar part of the model doesnt work for blends anyway ?

Expected behavior to me me would be pick part (anywhere), goto explorer & pick feature, then edit from object info(only)...simple.

Can we have some order and method for modification of features on solid edges etc...my comment above seems fair. Unless you tell us how there seems to be no real way of modifying things quickly & efficiently.