logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
union7  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:36:48 PM(UTC)
union7

In VIACAD (not pro) , is there away to specify the "maximum resolution" .
For example, when i convert a tight radius fillet into lines ,is there a way to limit the resolution of this, say that a each invidual line segment not be less than .oo3"?

I have played with the superfine thru coarse settings on the display resolution, but it will still go to fine, also i'm not sure if even that limits it to an ultimate minimum segmant length.

My water jet cutter does not like line segments less than than kerf of the water jet stream.
nick  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:49:12 AM(UTC)
nick

Not sure if it's the same in ViaCAD as it is in Pro products but you need to change the default resolutions for curves, surfaces and solids to superfine in preferences:display to have geometry always displayed in superfine. If you just select an item and change it's resolution to superfine with default set to fine then the moment you perform another operation on that item it will revert back to default fine resolution.

Hope that all makes sense.

All the best
Nick
nick attached the following image(s):
Shark FXScreenSnapz001.jpg (60kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
union7  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:03:22 AM(UTC)
union7

thanks, yes, i was aware of the global default effect of the preferences setting for display resolution. Although the advice was backwards from what i need....= i need a coarser resolution rather than finer.

For example; when i convert an arc into line segments i need to limit the smallest line segment allowable to NOT LESS than say .015". If any of the line segments are too small the water jet software will reject it because it does not like segments shorter than the kerf of the water jet stream.

(just using .015" as an example, idon't remember the actual kerf width right now)
nick  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:35:33 PM(UTC)
nick

Sorry, misread your original post. Only thing I can suggest would be to use a custom resolutions.ini file to modify the default system resolutions. I have enclosed a sample resolutions.ini file for you, just copy it to your Environ folder. If you open it up with a text editor you can modify the default resolutions by changing the values, the higher the value the more faceted the geometry will become.

All the best
Nick
File Attachment(s):
resolutions.ini.zip (1kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.