logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ryan Anderson  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2011 1:47:20 PM(UTC)
Ryan Anderson

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
What is going on here ? I am almost sure this is a bug (or 2 actually).

Create primitive cylinder

Create circle same diameter as cylinder, planar with 1 face of cylinder

Create circle a bit smaller than cylinder, planar with same face of cyliinder

Extrude solid using the 2 circles, for a length that is shorter than the cyliinder, along the axis of the cylinder.

Subtract the tube you just created from the original cylinder, using ctrl to retain the subtracted part.

If you drag the tube away from the cylinder, it's like you never subtracted it, even though the feature tree shows a subtracted part.
If you drag the cylinder away from the tube, everything is normal.

What I am trying to do is model a shaft with smaller diameters on the ends. Instead of joining 3 solid cylinders together, my idea was to create a cylinder of the largest diameter to the full length, then remove tube shaped solids from the ends. I was hoping to be able to mate the tube sections to the original cylinder so I could play with the overall length of the cylinder and have the tubes still attached to the ends, as well as play with the diameters and lengths of the tube sections later on. That is why I extruded the tube from circles, so that I could go back later and change the diameters and length of the extrusion, and the original cylinder would be modified correspondingly. The tube sections would go into their own layer, so that I could hide them when working on the rest of the assembly.

To my way of thinking the mate surfaces tool is not working properly at all. If I try to mate the face of the tube to the face of the cylinder, all sorts of strange things happen.

Maybe the connection tool would be more appropriate for this?

I wish I could do one of thos fancy screencast things, but I don't know how. I sure do appreciate it when people do them though, they help alot.

Edit : It seems the cutout solid tool will do this as well, without having to extrude the tube shape. You still need the 2 circles. Is it possible somehow to link the 2 circles with the face of the cylinder, so that if I change the length of the cylinder, the cutout remains positioned in the same place relative to the face of the cylinder ?

Ryan
Viacad 2d/3d build 962
win 7
jol  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2011 3:44:05 PM(UTC)
jol

you need to download Jing Ryan - which is free
Ryan Anderson  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2011 3:57:19 PM(UTC)
Ryan Anderson

http://screencast.com/t/ZDg3NzM3Nm

This should show the problem with subtracting solids.
Ryan Anderson  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2011 4:01:51 PM(UTC)
Ryan Anderson

http://screencast.com/t/NDdQEyNFuIB

Problem with mate surfaces
Ryan Anderson  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2011 4:02:25 PM(UTC)
Ryan Anderson

I am a screencasting fool !!!!
Ryan Anderson  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2011 4:17:45 PM(UTC)
Ryan Anderson

I am a fool, didn't realize I had to wait.

http://screencast.com/t/S5KYF4PWd0bP
thanks 1 user thanked Ryan Anderson for this useful post.
new2cad on 11/3/2017(UTC)
jdi000  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2011 4:40:10 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi Ryan

In that case you could try to build cylinder and add boss with boss tool to each end then you can control the length and diameter of all three.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Ryan Anderson  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2011 5:00:05 PM(UTC)
Ryan Anderson

Thanks Jason, that works not too badly. I guess I am thinking a bit backward, as a machinist I start with the raw material and remove metal until I arrive at the right shape. It seems it is easier to model by adding material, or starting out with the correct net shape in the first place.

In my ass backwards opinion the mate surfaces tool needs some work though.

Ryan
jdi000  
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2011 5:41:34 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi Ryan

I think the remove material approach is a good approach, its just getting associativity of features that made this more difficult.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
NickB  
#10 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2011 10:07:04 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Definitely looks like a bug.

When I encounter things like this I try and and find another way of accomplishing the task.

If your parts are all cylindrical, it might be easier to draw a 2d outline and then use the rotate extrude tool. The great advantage of doing that is that it then becomes supper easy to modify the part by just dragging lines around. No history, no booleans, no chance for parts to fail.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
blowlamp  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 7, 2011 2:58:34 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Just tried this in ViaCAD Pro v6 build 856 and it seems to be working correctly, so this looks like a new bug.

Martin.
billbedford  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 7, 2011 3:25:26 AM(UTC)
billbedford

Originally Posted by: Ryan Anderson Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Jason, that works not too badly. I guess I am thinking a bit backward, as a machinist I start with the raw material and remove metal until I arrive at the right shape. It seems it is easier to model by adding material, or starting out with the correct net shape in the first place.

In my ass backwards opinion the mate surfaces tool needs some work though.

Ryan

The mate surfaces tool works perfectly well once you understand the associations. The two cylinder you form by using ctl are associated to each other which is why you are getting an odd result. If you extrude two separate cylinders or copy the first cylinder with history(from the context menu) then you will find that the mate tool works as expected.