logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ryan Anderson  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:07:50 AM(UTC)
Ryan Anderson

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi all, it's my first post here, but I have been reading older ones and have learned a bunch. Thanks all.

I have been merrily modeling away, and all of a sudden my inspector seems to pop up every couple of minutes. It always pops up after restoring the program from a minimized state, but even when just sitting idle it will come up. This was not happening to me yesterday. Have I inadvertently turned something on/off ? Hasn't been a problem, only a minor annoyance.

Also, as I am running Viacad on my home computer as well as work computer, I have been saving the models to a usb memory stick (or emailing if not too large), and am having trouble when opening the files on the other computer. It takes several tries opening the same file until it finally decides to open. I get a 'cannot open file, file is damaged' message, but if I keep trying, it will eventually open. Is this normal ?

I have no formal cad training, but have been using quickcad from autodesk for several years for 2d drafting. This is my first foray into the 3d modeling world, and I am very pleased with the capabilities of viacad, and I am sure I am not using all the capabilities yet. I am learning as I go.

My office computer is running win 7, my home computer is vista, office is Viacad 2d/3d build 945(or 946, can't read the number) with some kind of patch for a flickering screen that has mostly solved that problem (but not completley). Home program is latest build, as I just downloaded it 2 weeks ago.

Thanks
Ryan
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 1:46:53 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>> and all of a sudden my inspector seems to pop up every couple of minutes.

The inspector will turn on/off if you hit control I. Any chance you are hitting these keys?

>>or emailing if not too large

I usually zip any files I send via email. Hmm...not sure why a file would take a couple of times to open.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Ryan Anderson  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 5:20:06 PM(UTC)
Ryan Anderson

Thanks for the reply.

I am not hitting ctrl I, just clicking objects with the mouse. It seems very random. As I said, not a huge issue anyway.

The other issue, files not opening properly, scares me a bit. As the model gets bigger, it seems to have more difficulty. The model is not huge, only just approaching 6 mb as of today. It happens on both computers, i.e. when I finish work, I will save to the work computer as well as to a usb stick, and then email a copy of the saved file to my home computer. When I get home I open the email, save the attached file to the appropriat directory, and try to open the file, it takes several (sometimes 10 or more) tries to open. When it fails, I get an error message 'this file is damaged ! cannot read into application'. Then I try the usb stick copy, copied to a different directory, and get the same message. I try back and forth between the 2 for a while, and eventually I will get one to open. It is not always the same one either. The reverse happens when I save from the home computer and try to open on the work computer.

I'm worried about a situation in which the file won't open at all on either computer, losing a days or an evenings work. It's not that the model is overly complex, but it has quite a few parts, and it still takes me a while to make them.

Work computer win7 and Viacad 2d/3d build 946
home computer vista and Viacad 2d/3d build 936
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:12:41 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ryan Anderson Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the reply.

I am not hitting ctrl I, just clicking objects with the mouse. It seems very random. As I said, not a huge issue anyway.

The other issue, files not opening properly, scares me a bit. As the model gets bigger, it seems to have more difficulty. The model is not huge, only just approaching 6 mb as of today. It happens on both computers, i.e. when I finish work, I will save to the work computer as well as to a usb stick, and then email a copy of the saved file to my home computer. When I get home I open the email, save the attached file to the appropriat directory, and try to open the file, it takes several (sometimes 10 or more) tries to open. When it fails, I get an error message 'this file is damaged ! cannot read into application'. Then I try the usb stick copy, copied to a different directory, and get the same message. I try back and forth between the 2 for a while, and eventually I will get one to open. It is not always the same one either. The reverse happens when I save from the home computer and try to open on the work computer.

I'm worried about a situation in which the file won't open at all on either computer, losing a days or an evenings work. It's not that the model is overly complex, but it has quite a few parts, and it still takes me a while to make them.

Work computer win7 and Viacad 2d/3d build 946
home computer vista and Viacad 2d/3d build 936

Hi Ryan

After you copy the file from email attachment or usb to your hard drive. Try right clicking on the file and seeing if in the file properties that the file is blocked. This sounds like the file is being blocked by the operating system. You can unblock the file if it is and try to open then. The windows vista has some file blocking stuff if it sensed the file came from another computer.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Ryan Anderson  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:26:29 PM(UTC)
Ryan Anderson

Thanks jd

I looked (at home now on vista), and sure enough one of the files was blocked, so I unblocked it. Same thing, same message. Took five tries, then it opened. I don't understand why it will successfully open after trying a few times. Seems like it either should or should not open (although I'm glad that it opens eventually.....so far). Makes me a bit nervous, but has not been catastrophic yet.

Thanks
Ryan
Ryan Anderson  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 25, 2010 11:30:00 AM(UTC)
Ryan Anderson

Still having saving/opening issues, even on same computer now. Save a model, close Viacad, open Viacad, try to open model, get error message. Try a few more times, it opens. That being said, I saved a model to the usb stick at work yesterday (got too big to email), and it opened right off the usb stick at home on the first try !

The file size also more than doubled with only the addition of a couple of parts, a shaft with a couple of threads on it, and a handwheel made from a torus and a cylinder and some prisms. It went from about 6mb up to 15mb. Am I saving some extra history or something here ? It seems strange to me.

Merry Christmas all.

Ryan
jol  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 29, 2010 5:28:56 AM(UTC)
jol

the inspector opens if you double-click a part - could that be happening Ryan ?
Ryan Anderson  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 29, 2010 9:02:22 AM(UTC)
Ryan Anderson

It's certainly possible, I will try to confirm as soon as my new video card is installed at work, as apparently I melted the original piece of junk that came with the computer.
I would really like to get to the bottom of this saving issue however.
Thanks
Ryan