logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NickB  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2007 12:45:33 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Its a long list, and if you are a first time CU or ViaCAD user don't let this put you off. CU is simply the easiest to use most powerful conceptual modeler out there. Thats why I care enough to create a wish list of what I would like to see in V5.

ASICS history errors - Parts start to do very unpredictable things when you try and resize them after doing a couple of transforms.

Crash reporting - CU reports that it has crashed but doesn't
Crash reporting - CU reports it has crashed an operation can not be completed, then completes it.
Crash reporting - CU does not crash, but system activity says it has.

Status - need for a progress bar + time estimate so if an operation is going to take an hour you know to not sit there twiddling your thumbs

Help system - images in HTML help are often missing - help is overly simplified and missing lots of items.

Windows - Info window needs to be re-sizable
Windows - Info window needs to contain text attributes
Windows - Info window needs to contain dimension attributes
Windows - Info window only shows a few levels of sub-layers, they quickly become flat and loose indentation
Windows - Features and Layers need to be separated so that you can see both. Tabs worked on small old displays, but bigger displays allow us to see more. Give the user options.
Windows - should be possible to tear-off tabs like Adobe and Omni apps (Omni has an open framework = free to allow programers to do this). At a minimum it should be possible to have multiple instances of a window open so that you can look at Layers AND Features, or Data AND Attributes.

Layers - drag and drop to re-order layers and move items between sub layers
Features - part number xxxxx is indecipherable Auto naming of parts with real names would make sense.
Features - re-ordering of features by point and click is very iffy. Should be drag and drop
Features - need to be able to change several features simultaneously in the Info / data window. If you have 15 2mm radiuses showing in the info data window I should be able to drag select, or do a select all, and then change them all with one entry in the data field. The current interface does not even let me tab from item to item.

Shortcuts - let users use modifier keys -Shift, Control, Option, Command to extend the available keys. The present system might have been state of the art in 1982, but that was 25 years ago.

Rendering interface - enough said
Rendering interface - create a separate folder(s) for users textures + decals in the users directory. Let users specify path so that it can be where it makes most sense to them.
Rendering interface - Camera positioning - so you can set a view point in space and then define the field of view in degrees - like lights
Rendering interface - Lights - the only way to re-aim a light is to create a new light. This is not acceptable.

Separate the interface code base so that the Mac and Windows versions can be more system specific and follow system standards. The current non-standard code base is hampering the development of the interface - such as tear off windows.

Updates - Auto checking / auto updating
Updates - Size. How about just updating the items that have changed instead of the complete 160mb (Mac) package.
Updates - PROPER version numbering, at least build 660.0.1 or something like that, multiple versions of the same build is unacceptably sloppy. Versions also need to be dated correctly. Why does the latest build have a build date that is 6 weeks before it was posted ?
Updates and Installs - Admin rights are completely messed up. CU will currently only install in the admin account when the user is logged in as admin. The installer should allow you to install from a user account and ask for an admin password, or allow the user to install the app in the users directory / account.

Admin / User accounts. Because the only way that users can add textures and decals is to add them into the appropriate folders within the CU/PhotoRender folder users have to authenticate as Admin if they are running as User and not Admin. If CU is used in an office or college environment where users run as User and not Admin, they need to have a systems administrator present every time they want to add or tweak a texture / decal. Not an ideal situation when you are on deadline at 11pm and the only person in the office.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
tmay  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2007 1:19:29 PM(UTC)
tmay

I like what I see, especially Assembly modeling.

http://go.cadwire.net/?54041,1,1
jol  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2007 2:47:14 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
haha .. I couldn't understand it

what I hope it said was radius blends tangential to the adjacent faces

Mr Brown .. great comments !!

The only one I'm not sure about is having more open windows (ie layers & features)
The drag tab thing is Adobe's patent, I believe

I think putting all these windows in an inspector .. and allowing multiple instances of it .. could serve to both allow better usage and rationalise interface scrappiness

Whilst more screen real estate is generally available .. a lot of us are choosing to work more on powerful laptops .. so, you still need to be mindful of that
jol  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2007 4:33:30 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
A lot of stuff has come up here in the last few days

Which seem to fall into 2 camps: Bugs & Improvements

Some of these bugs are as old as the hills

Now that Punch is on the scene .. and can bring its influence to bare:

I'm sure we all hope these last serious issues can finally be put to bed .. and allow us then to concentrate on improvements

!?
NickB  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2007 5:06:34 PM(UTC)
NickB

jol wrote:

The drag tab thing is Adobe's patent, I believe

I think the drag tab is, but Omni Group (http://www.omnigroup.com/) has an open source alternative for the Mac. If there is nothing similar for the PC, this is one more reason to break the MAC / Windows code base that is the worst of both worlds.

Even laptops have larger screen than they did a few years ago, and more and more of those have a wide aspect ratio - ideal for lots of windows on the side.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
NickB  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2007 5:11:47 PM(UTC)
NickB

tmay wrote:
I like what I see, especially Assembly modeling.

How does assembly modeling differ from what we have now ?

One of the things that I like most about CU is that there is no assembly mode, no broken links between files, no modal operation. CU allows a fluid work style like no other modeler I have ever used. One of the (many) things that I hate about Solid Works is its assembly mode.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
tmay  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2007 5:49:23 PM(UTC)
tmay

NickB wrote:
How does assembly modeling differ from what we have now ?

One of the things that I like most about CU is that there is no assembly mode, no broken links between files, no modal operation. CU allows a fluid work style like no other modeler I have ever used. One of the (many) things that I hate about Solid Works is its assembly mode.

Assembly mode preserves connections and alignments between parts if there are feature changes in either the base part or attached parts, generally in a parent/child relation. Assembly mode also would allow a part to add or modify another part's features (like adding a bolt through a couple of plates). Currently, individual parts are aligned, but are referenced to the working space. This would require realignment each time a parameter in a part of the assembly is modified.

It's a pain if you don't need to make many changes, but in your assembly, for mechanisms, it really is the preferred method. I would also assume that you can keep the alignments as is used currently.

Assemblies can create difficulties and fail if not well implemented.

Besides Concepts, I also have both Pro/E and SolidWorks, and for simple assemblies, it is probably easier to just use alignments with Concepts. Adding Assembly mode would make Concepts more useful for engineers and mechanical designers.

tom
API  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2007 5:56:27 PM(UTC)
API

I'm not sure if I'm looking for assembly tools or not but I'd like to be able to fix the position of one solid relative to another but not make them a group.

Patrick
Arketype  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2007 8:15:13 PM(UTC)
Arketype

A lot of the things mentioned appear to be bugs.
It would be nice to see these eradicated in a service pack vs. a paid upgrade in V5. Paying $$$$ for an upgrade should give you new features and enhancements, and one should not have to pay for bug fixes.

I agree with all the things on your list.

I would include (for the third or fourth time) enhanced 2d line editing, with associative fillets between line segments, and interactive control of the control points on "compound" lines. (we need interactive control for the path lines of complex sweeps and "pipes").

This is essential for any type of steel wire and tubing design.
SK8  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2007 11:39:48 AM(UTC)
SK8

I've been stopping in to see how things develop here and what might be coming. I use Graphite and Xenon and recently I've been testing CU demo and TurboCADMac and TCMPro. I see many of the same things in CU as in those others, and I assume some of the issues are in ViaCAD too.

One item that's popped up is if a drawing is done in millimeters and saved, and the software prefs get changed to inches, then there is corruption in the file when it is opened. Callout text and some dimension text gets turned into '0.0' Even if the prefs get changed over to mm the problem persists. You have to close the file, change the prefs, then open the file.

In the same vein; you can't have two drawings open with different sheet sizes. This is rather silly.

Suggest the drawing be able to set the preferences. That is, embed the preferences in the drawing and let that change the prefs in the program when that drawing is opened. Let that drawing pref file also have the windows information in it too.

Think of each drawing file as an entirely new drafting table, tools spread out the way you left them, sheet sizes may be different, or not, etc. Switch over to a different file and have it be like moving over to a different drafting table. Everything like you left it, but not necessarily like any other project you have going.

Also, the Page Layout dialog box could be spiffed up a good deal. When you go into Setup Mode: 'Advanced', wouldn't it make sense to let the available drawing sizes, i.e. sheet sizes, be taken from the available page sizes in the Page Setup dialog box? Seems that layout box could be cleaned up and simplified.

I use this 'breed' of software a lot, and may move to CU in the future, so I thought I'd toss in a few suggestions here. I don't think these are really 'deep' changes, rather like mild annoyances, minor bugs, and cosmetics.

Keep up the good work.
jlm  
#11 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2007 1:14:06 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
NickB wrote:

Rendering interface - enough said

Maybe not enough...
Personally I gave-up using the advanced mode : it's a nervous breakdown generator.
If the render isn't right the first time, I just export and use another render soft.

Very good list Nick !
JL
jlm  
#12 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2007 1:16:50 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
NickB wrote:

CU reports that it has crashed but doesn't

Please, make them all like that :rolleyes:
JL