logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NickB  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:37:44 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The extrude tool set is incredibly powerful, and I find that I use the CutOut Solid (extrude a hole) tool all the time for modifying solids. However, more and more I am missing the ability to use the CutOut Solid tool, to revolve a cut, cut along a path, or do a two rail cut with a profile. Ideally almost all of the extrude tools could be used to both create a solid - the default mode, as well as create a cut. How would you do this ? Either add a bunch of options to the CutOut tool (lots of new icons for Jol to design), use the option key or a check box next to each of the extrude tool parameters to make the tool work in either the positive (solid) or negative (cut) mode.

An argument against this would be that you can always create a solid, and then subtract it, but if you use that argument, why even have the CutOut Solid tool ?
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:35:17 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Nick

I agree that extrude and sweep profiles with an add or subtract material options would be a great addition to the extrude tools.

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Gary  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:50:06 PM(UTC)
Gary

Long ago there used to be a lip tool that was a sweep add or subtract from solid. I found it very useful and then it disappeared.

Tim, why did we loose this tool & any chance of bringing it back?

Gary
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:42:02 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gary Go to Quoted Post
Long ago there used to be a lip tool that was a sweep add or subtract from solid. I found it very useful and then it disappeared.

Tim, why did we loose this tool & any chance of bringing it back?

Gary

It was not very reliable so we pulled it out. We have created a new lip, groove, rib and flange tool in V6. The lip and groove are very similar to Solidworks where its all parametric driven. I'll put up a early preview of it when I get a chance.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:43:32 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>An argument against this would be that you can always create a solid, and >>then subtract it, but if you use that argument, why even have the CutOut >>Solid tool

If we can combine the operations (like the cutout tool) it makes for a smaller history tree & file. I also agree it would be good to have, just need to find a way to add to the UI.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
NickB  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 2, 2009 12:31:06 PM(UTC)
NickB

Tim,
Thanks for looking into this. Its this kind of direct access to to the developer / development group that makes Shark such a great tool.

As far as implementation goes I think the simplest thing would be to have a dropdown in the tool bar to make each tool work either positively or negatively. When the tool is used negatively you could revert to the CutOut Solid icon for the part history, but name the feature Cutout-Sweep, or Cutout-Lathe etc so that it is clear what is going on, while removing the need to develop a whole new bunch of icons.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
NickB  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 11:15:45 AM(UTC)
NickB

Tim,
Any update on this ?

Being able to do a negative one or two rail extrude and sweep would still be incredibly useful.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc