logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NickB  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:18:19 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Has anybody got any experience with [URL="http://www.transmagic.com/"]Transmagic[/URL]. It bills itselfg as a universal translator that can read and write to most CAD formats in their native format. The big feature that it offers that other data translation packages do not support is a viewer, and the ability to repair / stitch surfaces back together into a water tight solid. Something I know from experience can be very useful.

Looks like it supports ACIS, but the lowest cost 'basic' package is still $1000. What I would really like to see is a web based service that would do this, perhaps with a per use fee as long as it was not to exorbitant.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
tmay  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:26:57 PM(UTC)
tmay

Nick,

There are some others out there that might be a bit less expensive, (Cinema 4D has an engineering edition that uses Okino Polytrans), but there is only translation from a bulk solid to a bulk solid; no feature translation. I'm hoping that Tim can incorporate the latest translators from Spatial Technologies into Shark, which would add Parasolids and SW translators.

tom

http://www.maxon.net/pages/prod...ering/engineering_e.html

http://www.okino.com/default.htm
NickB  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:35:01 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Translation to SolidWorks and ParaSolid are the two big ones that I would most like to see, and I know that Tim is working on this.

My understanding is that although Spatial have a translator to SolidWorks, it is only working on the Windows side. I guess this is not a huge deal breaker given Macs ability to run either a virtual machine, or boot into Bootcamp / Windows, but it is an inconvenience that is big impediment to a smooth workflow and it would be great if it could be avoided.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
tmay  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:11:02 PM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
Translation to SolidWorks and ParaSolid are the two big ones that I would most like to see, and I know that Tim is working on this.

My understanding is that although Spatial have a translator to SolidWorks, it is only working on the Windows side. I guess this is not a huge deal breaker given Macs ability to run either a virtual machine, or boot into Bootcamp / Windows, but it is an inconvenience that is big impediment to a smooth workflow and it would be great if it could be avoided.

Regrettably, that is as well true for Okino.