logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jol  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2009 8:41:55 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
since sketchup can export edrawings - presumably using some kind of SolidWorks SDK ..

.. can't we ?

It would really help to have more of a nodd to the market standard .. SW
ALBANO  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:14:22 AM(UTC)
ALBANO

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jol Go to Quoted Post
since sketchup can export edrawings - presumably using some kind of SolidWorks SDK ..

.. can't we ?

It would really help to have more of a nodd to the market standard .. SW

You are very right Yol!
I once asked for self starting Shark-files. Now these e-drawings are exactly that!
jol  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:07:13 AM(UTC)
jol

Apparently eDrawings can eat SAT files .. so that's probably a good way to go !

However, I strongly feel we need to be seen to better (or directly) communicate with products that lead the CAD field
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 11:35:16 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi, guys

Edrawings is a good option but what about maximizing the use of 3d pdf's. Adobe reader will be on every computer mac and pc as a standard program. Edrawings requires a normal computer user to download install and use, but adobe will be on every machine and people are familiar with...

Adobe reader supports lineweights, and 3d objects with multiple views zooming turning off/on shading, copying and pasting images, etc. If I was investing in a 3rd party addon package adobe offers a compelling reason to use their's. I don't have a 3d pdf to post if someone has one that can be shared please post... The layer control and 3d view options seems to work well if the application that prints to pdf supports their functions. This is a great way to share cad data with non cad users.

What do you think...???

Jason
Windows 11, 10
jol  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2009 3:38:01 AM(UTC)
jol

Great point Jason .. I need to do a little research - I really don't know anything about it. I think the downside is they charge !?
unique  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:53:45 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post

What do you think...???

Jason

A great idea as Adobe is already on most PC's around the world. I have used 3d Pdf and the problem I found was most companies (here in the UK) were using win2k & NT servers and in some cases they were not able to have the ability to manipulate the models themselves due to their Adobe not being up to date. I looked online and this was a common problem...updating was also an issue and involved network admins etc etc.... bear this in mind.

The other major issue could be cost as Adobe 3D was/is a pretty penny !!
NickB  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2009 1:02:45 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Apparently eDrawings can eat SAT files .. so that's probably a good way to go !

However, I strongly feel we need to be seen to better (or directly) communicate with products that lead the CAD field

Unfortunatly the free viewer will only open native eDrawings, DXF and DWG. eDrawings free publisher is PC only.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
posh.de  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 5:00:46 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
.. I need to do a little research - I really don't know anything about it. I think the downside is they charge !?

of course, depends on your location, in the US online store of Adobe it's only 700.- U$ (net) whereras in the EU region much more expensive.

in the meanwhile it's called [URL="http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatproextended/"]Acrobat Pro Extended[/URL] (trial avail.), needs min. Adobe Reader v7.0.7+ (better v8+) for opening 3D PDFs.

a lot of sample files can be found e.g. on the [URL="http://www.acrobat3d.de/"]German Adobe 3D page.[/URL]

it's based on a product of [URL="http://www.righthemisphere.com/"]Right Hemisphere[/URL], thus currently Windows only.

hth,
Norbert
bmeissner  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 5:24:27 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

Originally Posted by: posh.de Go to Quoted Post

it's based on a product of [URL="http://www.righthemisphere.com/"]Right Hemisphere[/URL], thus currently Windows only.

Well, I guess you can leave "currently" out. This won't change in foreseeable future. Neither Right Hemisphere nor Adobe feel a need to expand this functionality to the Mac platform. In earlier days, they could justify that with the lack of CAD kernels on the Mac, but nowadays there's ACIS, Parasolid (64-bit for Leo!) and Granite available. I'd love to be proved wrong, however ;-)

While we're at it, how about Parasolid support in Shark? And the ability to handle structured assemblies as requested already [URL="http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=474"]here[/URL]?

Assembly structures can be transferred via STEP (or Parasolid, and meanwhile also ACIS), and are read by Acrobat 3D. This would allow showing/hiding elements in a viewer (like Acrobat) based on their structure. Currently all you get is a mess of all objects on the same hierarchical level...

Bernd
jol  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 5:28:54 AM(UTC)
jol

.. bugger - well I plumbed for Mac some time ago - so no good for me !
posh.de  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 6:05:22 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

... I plumbed for Mac some time ago - so no good for me !

[URL="http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/"]Parallels Desktop[/URL] or [URL="http://www.vmware.com/products/ws/"]VMware[/URL] are...

... indispensable tools for every prof. Mac user.

Norbert
bmeissner  
#12 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 6:23:32 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

Originally Posted by: posh.de Go to Quoted Post
... indispensable for every prof. Mac user.

Well, this is the way how I run it (the whole Adobe Technical Communication Suite, that is). Currently (I'm still using Parallels 3) there are some limitations when 3D performance becomes important. Maybe v4 speeds things up...

Bernd
bmeissner attached the following image(s):
A3D_mac.jpg (171kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jol  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 8:21:06 AM(UTC)
jol

Very interesting - thank you Berndt !
posh.de  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 8:30:23 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Originally Posted by: bmeissner Go to Quoted Post
... Currently (I'm still using Parallels 3) there are some limitations when 3D performance becomes important. Maybe v4 speeds things up...

a 3D output via OpenGL may (obviously) show issues (speed/display) in connection with a virtual OS, but better than nothing.

we still do recommend XP Pro as OS and not Vista because the glitches w/ OGL support of available video drivers are still valid as well as the in general more demanding usage of hardware resources.

hth,
Norbert