logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jol  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 7:48:10 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I split my network surface with another surface

.. this forms an intersect line

Delete my network surface

move my intersecting surface

intersect line updates

Anybody explain this ?

.. Fry ?
File Attachment(s):
Untitled 1.sfx (47kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jol  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 7:58:43 AM(UTC)
jol

When I delete geometry - I need it's history and associated overhead .. GONE !

Curves that were used to generate said geometry need to FORGET that deleted geometry entirely!

otherwise, it WILL bring me little SURPRISES later

Tim - I'm suggesting AGAIN that you have a FLAW in the way you deal with some deleted surfaces

It needs fixing !
NickB  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 10:37:18 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Jol,
I think that this is being addressed in V6 and is one of the big new features. A purge command that deletes all hanging / unneeded feature histories and reduces file size considerably.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
Steve.M  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 10:42:44 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
I think that this is being addressed in V6
That would be good.
and is one of the big new features.
New features can bring new problems/bugs and is probably a new/big feature in Shark 6, not a resolve of issues in the current releases
A purge command that deletes all hanging / unneeded feature histories and reduces file size considerably.
Hope it works correctly and does not just purge incorrectly and leaves later problems.

I know the post was not directed at me, but eh, I have the same problems :)

Regards,

- Steve
jol  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 10:43:41 AM(UTC)
jol

Hi Nick - I am aware of these efforts

I am unsure though how successful they are at removing these links - and will look into this further

However, it appears the solution discussed acts between sessions - is that what you understood ?

If you're right, then that's certainly better than now

But why are the links not broken in the same session - that is what I would expect and otherwise the funky behaviour continues until you save the thing twice (as I understand) .. this seems something close to exorcising deamons or voodoo or something
Steve.M  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 10:50:55 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: jol Go to Quoted Post
.. this seems something close to exorcising deamons or voodoo or something
I get tired of how the history/links currently work. I end up with exporting a current model out as step/Acis, then start new with that imported model to stop most of these problems.

Not a good way to have to work.

- Steve
Steve.M  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 10:53:04 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

However, it appears the solution discussed acts between sessions - is that what you understood ?
Is that on another forum? or have I missed a thread, or is such hidden?

- Steve
jol  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 11:01:50 AM(UTC)
jol

I can't remember where I read that - but I think the idea is that instead of dealing with it in session, dead links inShkV6 are dealt it with on saving. ie File is checked for dead links on save to file only - not when the link is broken.

So .. in session, you still have these issues !

That said, I think most links are dealt with correctly - I only have problems with curve to surface links .. and even then only sometimes .. you ?

I'm sure I could go through and test all tools and find other examples .. and i would if I knew the ones I've documented here were finally getting blasted

The thing about saving twice was how I remember deleted items being explained. That they weren't purged from the system for 2 cycles .. it's entirely possible I got that wrong - I'm no developer ! There may also be a very good reason for it
Steve.M  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 11:20:03 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

I can't remember where I read that - but I think the idea is that instead of dealing with it in session, dead links inShkV6 are dealt it with on saving. ie File is checked for dead links on save to file only - not when the link is broken.

So .. in session, you still have these issues !
Any links for deleted surfaces (or any geometry) should (IMHO) be deleted in session. I know currently such is saved and is still there in next session, and certainly the removal of that is a step forward. But why in the first place?(a question to Tim, not you)

That said, I think most links are dealt with correctly - I only have problems with curve to surface links .. and even then only sometimes .. you ?
Some areas appear to not have this problem, however, as I have mentioned, when an undo on one specific instance is made I find geometry/surfaces from previous being put in place,.. I presume that even though it does not show in the history, that certain info is still being stored.

I'm sure I could go through and test all tools and find other examples .. and i would if I knew the ones I've documented here were finally getting blasted
I think we all have examples of various problems,.. the problem is getting Tim to look/resolve.

- Steve