logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jol  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 1:57:03 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Tim

I realise this has been raised many times over the years - and I think I have failed to persuade you how important it is to patch surfacing

I've been trying once again to achieve good curvature connection in a typical patch construction within a product handle .. but am really struggling

The functionality of 'Match Surface' I believe really needs to be extended, particularly in the Shark products

I can't send you this particular case - but here, i need an internal patch to be slave to 4 common edge patches. In CDRS, I could click the patch and mark it slave .. and state the curvature level required, and it would generally jump into place

There are other simpler instances where I can't get a satisfactory result. Perhaps I'll try to document these over the next few days
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 12:46:19 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Hi Jol

Had a good talk with the guy at Spatial who developed the underlying technology for edge matching at the recent Insider Summit. Explained the problem we were having and he gave me some ideas to try.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
jol  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 2:52:01 PM(UTC)
jol

That sounds very promising Tim ..

.. I look forward to hearing more
Tem  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 3:17:18 PM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
And I look forward to surface matching being better implemented in SharkFX. ; )
I would really like to see a info box appear when doing a "match surface",
where numerical input is an option as well as a slider that one interacts with visually (increasing a value would increase height or something similar).
Also, three options would also be available, such as tangent match, curvature match and base curve match only (no tan match & no curvature match). Just a thought or two. Tem
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 3:33:57 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>and base curve match only (no tan match & no curvature match).
Interesting, I was also given some ideas on base curve matching (G0) from Spatial as well.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
jol  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:34:21 AM(UTC)
jol

Also, as well as specifying a direction of influence .. is it possible to specify a magnitude of influence ?

In Alias StudioTools, this variable appears to slide the controlling CV's respectively closer or further from the boundary of influence, therefor 'filling' or emptying the surface like a sail (it also allows you to apply influence mid-boundary or from end-to-end (twist), with or without tangent continuity)

So ... With a lofted solid, we prescribe a value "bulge" .. can't a do a similar thing across Matched Surfaces

Please see image
jol attached the following image(s):
if.png (56kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.