logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
norbertsf  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 4:55:01 PM(UTC)
norbertsf

I want to move the face in the pink/cyan square to the right, or move the area bounded by yellow to the left (same result in the end). I want the new shape to follow the red outline.

I have tried selecting the face bounded in cyan and using the move caommand, but it ends up moving the WHOLE shape.

I have tried stretching, but that inserts a break in the angled segment (and this command seems good for stretching--making larger--I'm trying to keep the horizontal dimension the same).

I have tried the move face command, but the cyan profile area does not remain the same. (I want the original profile to remain the same after the operations)

How do I change this (without rebuilding)?

see images

Norbert

UserPostedImage
By nbtsf at 2009-11-02

UserPostedImage
By nbtsf
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 7:09:58 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Hey Norbert, that's a GREAT question!

This reminds me of a naval architecture question i saw elsewhere:

http://www.shipconstructor.com/...m/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62

This one is highly applicable to what i will encounter soon enough, making flanges.

Currently, i've been making a profile of various sizes according to location in the hull. Midbody areas have thicker elements, and the fore and aft areas have thinner but more numerous stiffeners.

My thinking is that for this model, it may have to be broken down into zones or parts that remain (or are highly likely to remain) fixed in general, with the ends being "cut to suit" their terminations.

I was successful getting the cyan area to move (as it appears you did, too) to a more distant or a closer termination against plate and that saved me the work of extending beyond and then the need to trim back.

So, I'm not sure, but it may be that Tim & co would need to add some code to "maintain relative angle of (selected edges between two points (or more points?) but extend or trim distance of (profile edge) selected.

Alternatively, maybe a "stretching/retracting plane" of sorts can pass thru the part at the bounds of what is to remain fixed; everything in on the opposite sides of the boundary plains would be stretched according to either an angle referent or according to an edge that is allowed to move, so maybe the plane would be some infinitesimally small but discreet distance inward so the bottom edge stretched is of neglible length at the beginning of its own stretch.

Not sure if this thinking is making sense, but i'm firing it off before catching my bus.
norbertsf  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 7:35:41 PM(UTC)
norbertsf

It's funny (not really tho), but in Cinema 4D this is an easy case of going to Point mode selecting the points that make the end profile and then moving the points. Took seconds to do this (tho of course I end up with a poly object...) Everything else adjusts itself accordingly. Of course I need a non C4d file.

Is this possible or will it be possible in future?

Norbert

UserPostedImage
By nbtsf

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
By nbtsf
Gary  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 8:09:01 PM(UTC)
Gary

Hello Norbert,

Without your geometry it is hard to be certain... have you tried a move face on the 2 face I have drawn red boxes around?

Gary
Gary attached the following image(s):
moveface2.jpg (47kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
norbertsf  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 8:29:22 PM(UTC)
norbertsf

Yes I tried moving the faces. Unfortunatley it moves the faces, but the angles change, and the faces also change in length (as shown in the green arrows). Again, I want the red outline as a result.
I made the geometry from a profile, and the Booleaned the angles out.

I could have rebuilt it by now, but it seems like a simple command like this should be posssible....?

Norbert

UserPostedImage
By nbtsf

UserPostedImage
By nbtsf
norbertsf  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 9:59:31 PM(UTC)
norbertsf

Unfortunately, this is the sort of tools I think would do something similar...

http://www.rhino3d.com/4/help/C...ds/Move-EdgeFaceHole.htm

I am trying to do the same in Rhino, but the commands/interface is taking some getting used to...
Steve.M  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 3:39:41 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: norbertsf Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunatley it moves the faces, but the angles change, and the faces also change in length

The angles do not change, that is why you are seeing that. When you move those faces, it is moving a feature and the model is updating.
If you look back at the cinema 3d pic, you will see that on that the angles have changed.

I have copied your pic to try to explain better.

Pic01 shows how the model is now. The protrusion is then moved pic02, the side angles remain the same, but due to that, the sides of the protrusion change in length.
Steve.M attached the following image(s):
01.png (52kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
02.png (55kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Steve.M  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:11:52 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

With history kept, in this example the curves used for the trimming of the solid, then editing the curves will update the model.
curves.png (211kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
curve edit.png (247kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

jol  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:15:16 AM(UTC)
jol

Brilliantly explained Steve .. you should do some video tutes - you'd have a fan club in no time
Steve.M  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:22:27 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Unfortunately, this is the sort of tools I think would do something similar...

http://www.rhino3d.com/4/help/C...ds/Move-EdgeFaceHole.htm

I am trying to do the same in Rhino, but the commands/interface is taking some getting used to...

The "MoveEdge" will work in Rhino for what you want. If you cant find the tool, just start to type "MoveEdge" and a drop down menu will show and you can select the command, select the edges then move them (make sure you move planer to the object)
Steve.M  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:26:49 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: jol Go to Quoted Post
Brilliantly explained Steve .. you should do some video tutes - you'd have a fan club in no time

I have been awaiting requests :D
norbertsf  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:30:31 AM(UTC)
norbertsf

Steve M

My mistake I meant I needed the angles to change.
norbertsf  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:32:04 AM(UTC)
norbertsf

Steve M,

And your solution is sweet! Thank you. I will take that into account next time. (I guess I could also modify the booleaned object also?)
ttrw  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 1:54:14 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
jol wrote:

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
I have been awaiting requests :D

"Shark FX for Dummies" more like! Complete with YouTube viddys!! It'll be the BOMB! :cool::cool:
ttrw  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 1:55:14 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
PS, check out Aidan Chopra's YouTube vids for SketchUp. They're brilliant! :cool:
Steve.M  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 1:55:57 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

(I guess I could also modify the booleaned object also?)

Yes, what I normally do it that situation,is to open the concept explorer, then use the "deep select" tool to select any part of the object to edit. Then in the explorer tree, select the boolean object, that can then bring up the boolean object size which can be edited, or to move the boolean, I find it easier to go into one of the ortho views and use the nudge keys (which I have enabled in the preferences) and move the object with the nudge keys.

- Steve
boolean.png (97kb) downloaded 5 time(s).