logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
norbertsf  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 3:04:40 PM(UTC)
norbertsf

I'm trying to skin a solid using the paths shown. Even though the shapes are symmetrical and closed and grouped (they are made of lines, arcs, and conics), when I use the skin solid command in ViaCAD 5 ( and in the Shark FX Beta). I get the shown results. There is "twisting" occuring for lack of a better word. The Skinned solid IS NOT symmetrical. It's also hollow.

Any help/advice?

Norbert

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:07:07 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Can you post the viacad or shark file?
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
norbertsf  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:43:48 PM(UTC)
norbertsf

Here it is Tim,

Thanks

Norbert
File Attachment(s):
solid.sfx (50kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jol  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:47:08 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well done Norbert

I posted the exact same problem a year ago

Hopefully we can get this fixed now

Incidentally, if you boolean subtract something from them - they self-fix
jlm  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2007 6:01:36 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
I also meet this issue very often.
The workaround is to add a few guide lines and use "skin with guides".
It doesn't solve everything though (cf my posts on that topic).

Against wrinkles, we need skin-care!

JL
jol  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2007 6:10:57 AM(UTC)
jol

Bug Database

Got one yet ?
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2007 4:45:26 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
The skin solid tool in ACIS will not support this case nor is it planned to do so. Each resulting capping surface must be able to be constructed from one continuous surface.

To do this particular set of curves, I think you will need to manually skin, cover, and stitch. There are some discontinuties in the curves you will also need to figure out how to transition.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
jol  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2007 5:04:04 PM(UTC)
jol

If that's the case Tim .. then the user needs a little pop-up to say exactly that ..

.. "Case not supported .. manually skin, cover & stitch"
ZeroLengthCurve  
#9 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2008 6:41:47 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
My example is similar to the object shape above, except I'm using ViaCAD 2D/3D 5.x and the same problem occurs for me in V6 Beta.

Also, I cannot get volumes measurements from the shape. However, if I create a cube, sphere, tube, or other closed geometry via the palette tools, I CAN obtain volumes. But, when I create two curves (from the output of a hull generation program), then "skin" them, ViaCAD refuses to show volume for the shape. I forget the error message. It WOULD be nice if it says "Feature not enabled", or such, but even when I'm told about "gaps" or openings I cannot seem to resolve that matter.

I've thought about "subtracting a solid...", but I cannot seem to achieve that, either. And, even if that's possible, it would be painstakingly laborious and long for the shapes I'm going to be creating.

Worse, (and, boy, I hope it's just me, that I'm not doing something right), even when I draw extra lines to create new geometry snapped end to end JUST to make sure there really are NO gaps in the geometry, I STILL cannot end up with geometry that is considered closed and volume-measurable. I zoom in, turn on Intersection, play with end-point/mid-point, etc. I wish "Intersection" was more aggressive, more visible, and that there were an arrow key interaction to cope with shaky hands not keeping on the pointer-instantiated option-pop-up.

So, is it even permitted to end up with a closed shape that can be measured for volume when, say, several planes are thrown together and then trimmed plane-to-plane or surface-to-surface?

Also, is there some sort of "gap tolerance" that ignores minor openings in geometry so that volume measurements can be obtained? I realize it probably breaks some canon for there being closed geometry, and that a container for which volumes will be obtained should be drafted perfectly correctly, but, sometimes it's vitally time-saving to be able to throw together any number of shape-defining lines that are at least to scale and are a tiny fraction of distance apart relative to their scaled sizes. I suppose there is a tolerance/fit feature that may help with this, but maybe I'm misreading.

THANKS!
ZeroLengthCurve  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:24:39 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I know RTFM is the thing to do. Finally some paragraphs sunk in, and now I know how to surface my model's numerous parts.

It seems that I am serendipitously finding some amazing results with random geometry tests that I could not think of on purpose.

I've routinely been staying away till 0230 just getting more time in on ViaCAD, mainly because I don't get back home until after 2130. But, the lack of sleep is worth it.

I wish ViaCAD would go to the $150 range with some constraints-based tools, and some sort of task priority feature, say where one could quickly attach user-assigned balloons/leaders to features. The features would have task orders (hehehe, sounds like a naval JANAP tasking order....) in the balloon, and each would be either a flag for reminders to the user, or an actual ViaCAD task.

For example, for some repetitive acts, I want to flag or tag multiple surfaces that might not take actions from the eyedropper tool. Maybe I want to do in sequence a number of things via a deep select. When completed, each task might fill in or change colors so I have a visual cue not to spend or waste time trying to apply mods already done.

Also, does Punch! plan to build in a construction recorder or make changes to it so that periodically, parts are generated from geometry created? Then, even if they are not categorized, they can just be put into a scrap/tidbits folder. It may BE that this exists, but it came to me from somewhere...

THANKS!