logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mykyl1966  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2007 4:20:35 PM(UTC)
mykyl1966

I am thinking about buying viacad after playing with the concepts 3d demo but I have a question.

Is it possible to bring in a set of background images to model from?

What I mean is a set of images for each view. Front Side Back top etc.

I have scratched my head trying to work out if it is possible myself.

Other than that I am liking it very much although finding things can be a bit of a nightmare while I am not used to it.

Cheers

Mike R
mykyl1966  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2007 4:31:41 PM(UTC)
mykyl1966

Hi Mike,

>>I sure hope jpg is usable in viacad.
Currently BMP. I hope we can expand additional raster formats in a future version.

>>Also how about an option so that the viewport doesn't roll about all over the place.

Could you explain further?

FYI, I'm looking into some improvemnts for raster image support for the products, including the ability to set a transparent color. If anyone has some suggestions, now is a good time to provide some feedback.
joev  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 6, 2007 9:16:46 AM(UTC)
joev

mykyl1966 wrote:
Hi Mike,

FYI, I'm looking into some improvemnts for raster image support for the products, including the ability to set a transparent color. If anyone has some suggestions, now is a good time to provide some feedback.

I would suggest jpeg and tif for additional file formats and when placing images, have the image auto-center to 0-0 instead of coming in with the zero point at the upper left. That would make it easier to bring in images and start modeling, as opposed to having to manually center the image in each viewport.
mykyl1966  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 6, 2007 10:34:34 AM(UTC)
mykyl1966

Regarding the rolling about all over the place.

Currently the viewport can be banked left and right which I find unnatural. It resembles the viewport of a flight simulator game, where you can turn left right up and down as well as bank over to the left or right.

I prefer the viewport to be more like an fps game, where you can turn left and right and up and down but not bank. Looking from a front view the 'floor' plane or x should always be level. In other words remove the rotate around the y.

If this was an option not exclusive then it would help a lot of people and not just myself.

I hope the above makes sense. If not just ask and I will capture some screens to explain what I mean.

While I am at it, the ability to export obj files in the way moi3d can do would be perfect. They allow the option to export all tris or tris and quads or N-gons. N-gons are more useful to me. They also supply a movable arrow to select more or less polygons. Fantastic stuff.

Download the beta while its available to see what I mean.

Cheers

Mike R
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 6, 2007 11:12:58 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>I prefer the viewport to be more like an fps game, where you can turn >>left and right and up and down but not bank. Looking from a front view >>the 'floor' plane or x should always be level. In other words remove the >>rotate around the y.

What if we were to lock the rotation axis when dynamically rotating by hitting the x, y, or z keys?

>>the ability to export obj files in the way moi3d can do would be perfect.
We're exploring OBJ import/export to an upcoming product which includes vertices, normals, color, and texture coordinates, but just triangles at this time. When I get a chance, I'll take a look at moi3d.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
mykyl1966  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 6, 2007 1:35:26 PM(UTC)
mykyl1966

I think your suggestion to lock the rotation is a possibility that could work.

The reason why I asked you to look at Moi3d is the N-gons export is very good and any possible glitches can easily be counteracted with a quick extra bevel in Modo. (Modo is my render engine of choice.)

Either way, I am excited by the possibilities with your software and look forward to ordering it soon.

Cheers

Mike R