logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mlochala  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 2, 2009 6:11:21 PM(UTC)
mlochala

Here's a design I'm playing with, a Hayabusa-powered side-by-side ATV. I haven't yet modeled in many components such as suspension, steering, drivetrain, lights and body panels. The Hayabusa engine was a STEP file I found online.

So far, I'm having a blast with ViaCAD 6. Modeling is very, very easy. I'm finding a lot of bugs with the program, but overall I am well pleased. I would love to see all the bugs get worked out and some more functionality added to the program. As it is, though, this is a lot of CAD for the price.
mlochala attached the following image(s):
Hayabusa UTV.jpg (289kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
unique  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 3, 2009 2:34:37 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: mlochala Go to Quoted Post
So far, I'm having a blast with ViaCAD 6. Modeling is very, very easy. I'm finding a lot of bugs with the program, but overall I am well pleased. I would love to see all the bugs get worked out and some more functionality added to the program.

What build of V6 are you running?. If you are finding "lots" of bugs would it not be a good idea to post them in the beta section so the developers can see what you mean & fix them ??:rolleyes:

As it is, though, this is a lot of CAD for the price

ViaCAD is too cheap, it should be twice the price and then some IMHO.
mlochala  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 3, 2009 11:01:43 AM(UTC)
mlochala

Sorry, unique, I wasn't sure what the beta section was for. I'll start keeping a log of issues and sharing them.

Ssshhhhhh!!! about the price. Honestly, there has long needed to be a CAD this good for the home consumer. This technology should be available to inventors with very tight budgets. I'm really excited to see ViaCAD bringing this level of capability to people with low-end budgets because nobody else is.

Trying to model some of the stuff I've been able to do with ViaCAD in TurboCAD, DesignCAD or some of the other similarly priced software is either painfully slow and cumbersome or altogether impossible.

I hope that Punch! will continue the development of the basic ViaCAD with improved and added functionality unlike IMSI which has basically chosen to hamstring their basic programs in order to push everyone toward the higher priced and only slightly more capable "Pro" versions.
unique  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 3, 2009 12:14:15 PM(UTC)
unique

Sorry, unique, I wasn't sure what the beta section was for. I'll start keeping a log of issues and sharing them.

Not a problem mate....I wouldn't worry too much about where things get posted, im sure you have read enough posts now to see roughly where they all live ;). The most important thing is to submitt your requests/suspected bugs...that way Tim & Ryan get extra overtime pay at Punch HQ :D

Ssshhhhhh!!! about the price. Honestly, there has long needed to be a CAD this good for the home consumer. This technology should be available to inventors with very tight budgets. I'm really excited to see ViaCAD bringing this level of capability to people with low-end budgets because nobody else is.

Trying to model some of the stuff I've been able to do with ViaCAD in TurboCAD, DesignCAD or some of the other similarly priced software is either painfully slow and cumbersome or altogether impossible.

I hope that Punch! will continue the development of the basic ViaCAD with improved and added functionality unlike IMSI which has basically chosen to hamstring their basic programs in order to push everyone toward the higher priced and only slightly more capable "Pro" versions.

Technology costs money, period. ViaCAD is currently the dream product as far as being capable and less expensive...but I wouldnt mind betting that if the product was twice the price you would still buy it, I know I would:cool:.
mlochala  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 5, 2011 5:58:07 PM(UTC)
mlochala

Wow, I forgot about this thread.

I would like to say, for the record, that almost all of the "bugs" I found back then mostly disappeared as I begin to learn more about the program and how to proficiently use it.

Coincidence? I think not...