logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mlochala  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 22, 2010 8:00:24 PM(UTC)
mlochala

I'm modeling a vintage Roland synthesizer and all I have left to do is to add labels for switches and the Roland logo.

What would be the best way to take text and project it onto a model surface so that it becomes part of the model? Is this possible in the basic version of ViaCAD V6?

The only thing I know to do is to insert the text, convert it to curves, project them onto the model surface and then convert them into a surface. But, with all the labeling I've got to add, that's going to take a lot of time I don't really have.

Any suggestions?
mlochala  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 22, 2010 8:05:08 PM(UTC)
mlochala

Here's what it looks like so far. I've also included a picture of the real thing.
mlochala attached the following image(s):
U20-001.jpg (46kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
U20-003.jpg (36kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
U20-004.jpg (40kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
U20 Ref 001.jpg (57kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:16:12 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
What?! Vintage??! :eek:

I was expecting a System 700, a System 100m or even an SH5. This looks very 1990's to me! :D

I used to own a system 100. A fine instrument indeed! :cool:
mlochala  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 23, 2010 11:06:25 AM(UTC)
mlochala

Hey ttrw,

I've had this U-20 for nearly 20 years. I bought it new in college and played it in a Christian rock band for awhile. I played it in church some and then put it away in storage. It's still in excellent condition. Two years ago I sent it back to Roland and had it serviced and reworked with a new set of keys.

In its time, this board had the best acoustic instruments you could get. The pianos, guitars and brass instruments were second to none. The synth sounds are awesome. But, you can tell its heritage by the listening to the factory sound patches. The original sound patches were spot on for everything from Van Halen, Journey, and Whitesnake to even C+C Music Factory and the Eurythmics. Very cool stuff!

I got tickled at my wife when she came in the room yesterday. "Why in the world would you be modeling your keyboard??? It's not like you can build another one!"

LOL! She just doesn't get it...

I originally was going to just do a very simple model to play with the idea of building a sort of cabinet/stand for it so that I could leave it in my living room like a real piano instead of putting up back in the case every time. But, once I got started doing the model simple just wasn't good enough.

It took the most time making the precise measurements to lay all the details out accurately. ViaCAD did its job flawlessly, quickly and very easily. I can't complain about anything with the program on this model.
NickB  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 6:39:21 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I always do this in Illustrator as thart gives me more control of kerning etc.

Create type in Illustrator
Kern etc.
Convert to outline
Ungroup
Export as DXF or DWG with smoothing
Import to Shark / ViaCAD
Extrude letter forms
Scale letter forms to fit
Boolean onto object

I usually make my letter form extrusions deeper than I need and then bury part of the form in the main body so that I don't end up with surfaces not matching or some other weirdness.

This can all be done in Shark / ViaCAD, but with a lot less control.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc