logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
misterrogers  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:59:55 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

This morning was a somewhat embarrassing in a meeting which involved me showing some drawings within Shark.

The client made some comments about the Tool Icons in FX.. Said they reminded him of a kindergarten classroom.

While they currently make perfect visual sense to me, I wonder if there is any chance they will ever look more grown up like Ashlar & TurboCAD's current look?
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:22:46 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
First time I've heard that. The last TurboCAD Mac icons I saw I thought were questionable. I also think the AutoCAD for Mac icons are a challenge to see (bad contrast) but I guess it's a personal opinion.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
blowlamp  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:20:26 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post
This morning was a somewhat embarrassing in a meeting which involved me showing some drawings within Shark.

The client made some comments about the Tool Icons in FX.. Said they reminded him of a kindergarten classroom.

While they currently make perfect visual sense to me, I wonder if there is any chance they will ever look more grown up like Ashlar & TurboCAD's current look?

Yes I agree with your client.
Tim, do you think Jol would be prepared to do an alternative set of 'blood spattered' icons inspired by war, making money at all costs and people being rude to each other? :)

Martin.
misterrogers  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:52:04 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Tim:

Perhaps the problem is my own insecurity in the guy's comments to me.

Like I said earlier I find them to be thoroughly visually intuitive - as in I understand what each tool is without having to hover over for info. It was just that I didn't know how to respond to the guy at the time.

Blowlamp: At first when I started reading your comment, it had such a serious note that I was completely unprepared for the humorous sarcasm of the second part. :)
Jean-Francois Jacques  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:15:14 PM(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques

Canada

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Ok! the Sharks' icons aren't perfect, but enough fair! They are moderns and clear. Don't sous estimate the work, is very hard to design the perfect thing. Tim, I think Michael Desjardins had design your icons?
METEORE DESIGN / KEKO Stand
Jean-Francois Jacques, Industrial Designer
SharkCad Pro V14 B1653
Platform macOS 14 Sonoma
blowlamp  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:25:10 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

misterrogers.
Glad you took my little joke as intended.
From what I could gather from your original post, it seemed like the client was trying to undermine your confidence by criticising the tool you chose to use. My effort at being funny was just my response to his petty attitude and the embarrassment it caused you.

Martin.
misterrogers  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:24:01 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Quote:
misterrogers.
Glad you took my little joke as intended.
From what I could gather from your original post, it seemed like the client was trying to undermine your confidence by criticising the tool you chose to use. My effort at being funny was just my response to his petty attitude and the embarrassment it caused you.

Martin.

Thanks Martin, it helped greatly - Anytime!
Tim Olson  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:53:30 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Michael did some of the early Concepts icons. Jol has been doing all the current ones. You can see them all in the Skins folder.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
dexter  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2010 8:53:43 PM(UTC)
dexter

I agree with the other poster about the client trying to de-value your work in some way. Hopefully they don't challenge your rates!

Really, nearly all icons are cartoon-ish. Look at Mac OS and Win OS - I feel that the icons in Tim's programs, thanks to Jol, are extremely consistent, coherent and at a lesser level, on par with anything else out there (SolidThinking, Alias, etc.), and surpass what other more mainstream programs offer (Solidworks).
Jean-Francois Jacques  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:28:36 AM(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques

Canada

Do you thing that these icons (attachment) is more professional!! Or less funky!!..or less cartoon!!
Jean-Francois Jacques attached the following image(s):
Screen shot 2010-10-05 at 11.25.14.png (123kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
SharkCad Pro V14 B1653
Platform macOS 14 Sonoma
misterrogers  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2010 11:35:54 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

Originally Posted by: Jean-Francois Jacques Go to Quoted Post
Do you thing that these icons (attachment) is more professional!! Or less funky!!..or less cartoon!!

Hmm.. looks very "trendy" Is that SolidThinking?
Jean-Francois Jacques  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2010 12:25:58 PM(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques

Canada

Yes, it's solidThinking V8.
SharkCad Pro V14 B1653
Platform macOS 14 Sonoma
la mouche  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 6, 2010 3:40:04 AM(UTC)
la mouche

hello,

the baby looks icons SharkFX is due to the colors used, I think.
But, they are very effective, and easily understandable for users and beginners.

Some examples of interfaces:

Note that I do not want to make comparisons between software, but it would be nice from time to time to be inspired :)

http://screencast.com/t/YbdYaE3Ga

Antoine
Jean-Francois Jacques  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 6, 2010 10:50:52 AM(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques

Canada

Good examples Antoine!
For me Cinema4D is good, but 3Ddesign cad looks very good (very serious)...

Like Tim said, everybody have a different opinion!
SharkCad Pro V14 B1653
Platform macOS 14 Sonoma
jlm  
#15 Posted : Friday, October 8, 2010 7:44:34 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jean-Francois Jacques Go to Quoted Post

Like Tim said, everybody have a different opinion!

Yes, to me Shark icons are just looking perfect !

JL
daleroe  
#16 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 11:00:59 PM(UTC)
daleroe

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I know this might be a hot topic because it's all personal preferences. I'm very opinionated about the icons and tool palettes. I'm coming from 17 years of ashlar and I'm trying to like the icons and palettes in shark. For what its worth here is my take:

I don't like having the rotate ball disappear and it's difficult to access the drop down view menu. The target area is too small for quick mouse movement.

I don't like having the palettes combined. I don't use view, rendering, mts and rarely meshes so I would prefer to have them hidden to reduce clutter.

I don't like having two columns of icons, it makes it confusing to locate the icon I'm looking for.

The icons represent the tool accurately but are too detailed and eye candyish making them hard to identify quickly.

The show hide palette is cryptic for someone who is used to a simple word menu. I really have to stop and think about which icon does what I want.

I LOVE being able to create my own palettes. I wish I could bring the pop out icons to the new menu. Then I could make the ideal palettes.

Well that's about it for now, I've got more if your interested.
--dale
HP Z800 Dual Xeon 5690 3.46Ghz 64GB
nVidia Quadro 6000 6GB
Win pro 7-64
SharkCAD Pro v10.0.0 B1354
Shark FX v9.0.4 B1162
lovebugjunkie  
#17 Posted : Monday, January 3, 2011 12:41:13 PM(UTC)
lovebugjunkie

Should have told him you tailor them to the expected audience. One of the reasons I noticed ViaCAD the icons were simple and very intuitive and there is not 30-50 or more displayed at the same time.
Bob La Londe  
#18 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 9:23:30 AM(UTC)
Bob La Londe

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
LOL. When I hear something like that I assume the comment is made by somebody who is in a little over their head or is threatened by what I am showing depending on their tone.

Your response must be gaged by that person's stature (personal as well as authority) in the room, their likelihood to be able to damage you in the future, and how important their understanding is.

If you can keep all ernestness and forthright attitude in your tone you might be able to get away with just asking if there is something they don't understand and would like clarified. More likely though you need to take a different safer tactic. Agree with them 100% and make a joke about it making their silly comment sound clever. "Yeah, Bugs Bunny helped me with this. He's quite a good designer, but you know how those toons are. Gotta cut up somewhere." Make sure you plaster a big shit eating grin on your face when you do. Then after the tension is relieved for yourself you can mentally review what was just covered and see if you can find any point where you might have lost your listener and review that point. You can even pretend to have lost your place in your presentation and go back a little further just to be safe. Even those that are following you may be glad to go back a little bit. You were not the only one distracted by the interruption.

I am not such a good public speaker. My immediate response to a heckler is to cut them down at their own expense and amuse everybody else. "Maybe we should replace you with a kindergardener then. Atleast they would be paying attention to the presentation." That's fine in a lecture hall in front of a general audience, but rarely a good idea in a board room or a business meeeting.

As long as you didn't lose your professionalism and you were able to complete a decent comprehensible presentation to the rest of the people in the room I am sure you are fine.
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff
www.CNCMOLDS.com
jol  
#19 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 10:07:31 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I like your thinking Bob !
Bob La Londe  
#20 Posted : Monday, January 10, 2011 10:32:26 AM(UTC)
Bob La Londe

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jol Go to Quoted Post
I like your thinking Bob !

Unfortunately there is often an unbridgeable breach between theory and practice.
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff
www.CNCMOLDS.com