logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
misterrogers  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:29:13 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

I designed a set of seasonal dinnerware that requires some simple illustrator files to be superimposed on various faces.

I'm pretty sure this might be possible to accomplish by importing the illustrator files directly.

The problem is that I have no idea what folder to put it in (As a Shark FX/Os X user, I put it into the one specified in the manual to no avail.)

This is something I really need to know how to do for other projects as I constantly use 2d graphics on my work. Thank you!
misterrogers  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:29:34 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Anybody? Please? :)
Steve.M  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2009 2:32:39 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

The Decals are 64X64 BMP with an associated/control CSD file. Is that what you are trying to load?

If you are trying to load a texture, then in FX (well, in the beta I am using) you can load textures through the Render library.
misterrogers  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2009 8:56:00 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

The Decals are 64X64 BMP with an associated/control CSD file. Is that what you are trying to load?

If you are trying to load a texture, then in FX (well, in the beta I am using) you can load textures through the Render library.

Thanks Steve,
So all I need to do to load my own custom decal is to convert it to a 64x64 bmp image? Do I put it into the same folder as all the other decals, or is there a way to import it within FX? Also, not sure what a .csd file is can you please elaborate?

Do the loaded textures have to be in the same resolution and file format?
Steve.M  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2009 2:31:47 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi,

This is what I am finding on the PC.

There are actually 3 BMP files that are used (currenly a BMP 64X64 image- in the Decal directory- for preview) then 2 more BMP, one for an image and one for a mask(256X256 BMP image- in the Texture directory), there is then a CSD file that contains the info of those 2 image files along with various info on its rendering attributes.

As I am currently testing the renderer (well, more a case of playing around). I will see what is the best way to use a custom Decal, to either create a new decal, or see if I can edit a current decal for custom use (I do not want to lose any of the default Decals).

I will post back later with my findings.

- Steve
Steve.M  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2009 3:36:02 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

OK,

The info above is correct, I have made simple editing of the textures/preview of one of the Decals. (but see it should be easy enough to have a full custom decal with correct naming etc)

I will check now on image sizes, to see what is allowed.

Do you have an example of a decal you want to use?

EDIT: The actual texture size used for the image/mask does not matter(I have checked with various sizes, (even ones like 1000X800). The Decal is placed at a default size (small square), but of course can be scaled on the object, and is (on first checks) constrained to a square image)

Pic from my test:-
Steve.M  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2009 5:35:06 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

In the beta I am using, it is easy to actually edit a Decal through the object properties, the drop down lists for selecting the texture/stencil are the texture files in the texture directory, so you can move your textures to that directory.

I have found no way yet, to actually save the custom Decals directly within shark, although it is possible to create your own and have them show in the render library.

The attached pics show my custom Decal and the editing options in the object info popup.

Which direction do you want to follow, do you just need to be able to edit, or do you want info on how to create/store the Decals for use later(for other projects)
Steve.M attached the following image(s):
Decal test02.png (32kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
Decal test03.png (18kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
misterrogers  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2009 10:21:52 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

Thanks again Steve for the update on your findings. btw the face looks just like me! :)

I think to get the shapes that I want to use as "decals" on the rendered faces might be difficult to achieve in Shark alone.

I drew several snowflakes in Macromedia FreeHand mx that I hope to be able to import and adhere to any arbitrary face (the top of a dinner plate for example). (Freehand can export to .ai format)

If I could develop those same snowflakes within Shark's decal-editing features, then that would be splendid, however I find FreeHand much easier to develop the "artsy-vector" images – for lack of better terminology..

I also thought what if I import the vector and make a surface from it then project that very surface onto the face..

Maybe decals aren't what I need at all? I mean if I could convert my vector images to a bitmapped one – jpg for example, then add that as a texture, that would be fine too. Do you know how to import a custom texture in that way? I would not want it to repeat in a tile fashion, rather I'd just require ONE image. Hopefully you can understand what i'm getting at here. :)

Just imagine a colored ceramic mug with a drawing of a snowflake on the side of it.. That's essentially what I'm trying to achieve.
Art  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2009 11:48:28 AM(UTC)
Art

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I don't know if you have seen this movie that Nick made.

I have found it really helpful after not making a decal for a while.

http://www.cadsoftsolutions.co.uk/movies/custom_decal.mov

Takes a while to load.

Good Luck,

Art

Shark FX 853 Mac 10.5
Steve.M  
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2009 3:26:50 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post
Thanks again Steve for the update on your findings. btw the face looks just like me! :)
That was a self portrait. :D
Maybe decals aren't what I need at all? I mean if I could convert my vector images to a bitmapped one jpg for example, then add that as a texture, that would be fine too.
A Decal with give you far better control for what you want.
If you convert your snowflake to a bitmap, then all you need is a stencil. A stencil is just a black and white image that is applied over the texture image, then where the stencil is white, the image can be seen, where the stencil is black, the image becomes transparent and the background color shows through.

As a simple example, I have a snowflake image, I have created a stencil in a graphics program , You then move those 2 bitmaps into the shark texture directory. In shark, you can then add any of the decals (does not matter which one), then using the object properties of the decal you can change the "stencil" for your black and white bitmap of the snowflake and the "image" for the image of your snowflake. You can then easily scale/move the image(decal) around the surface.

I have been able to use any size of texture, and various file types (I have tried:- jpg/ bmp/ png) for the Decal.
Steve.M attached the following image(s):
snow_flake_image.png (40kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
snow_flake_stencil.png (2kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
SF_render.png (109kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

misterrogers  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:52:16 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

Art - thanks for the video tutorial, I would have never guessed to do any of that.

Steve - yeah that helps a lot. this is exactly what I've been beating my brains to do. :) Initially I was worried that scaling would be an issue as it might lose too much resolution. thanks a lot for your help!!
Steve.M  
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:25:30 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Initially I was worried that scaling would be an issue as it might lose too much resolution.

That is not a problem. Just use an image with the detail you need at the resolution you need, then that image can be used.

The main limitations are that the image rendering properties cannot be changed within Shark, or that the Decal cannot be added directly to the library within shark.
misterrogers  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 12:49:40 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
That is not a problem. Just use an image with the detail you need at the resolution you need, then that image can be used.

The main limitations are that the image rendering properties cannot be changed within Shark, or that the Decal cannot be added directly to the library within shark.

yeah I've been saving the resolution high enough and it's working well enough for what I need.

Do you think there will be an update that will allow Shark to import decals directly?
lgrijalva  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:43:01 PM(UTC)
lgrijalva

The render library window have an user library option, and is present for all the render options, including decals, but only working for new textures.

Don't you think guys that will be nice and useful to have set your custom decals presents in that library with the preview, instead to have to edit the decal every time it is applied to model? i.g. Your logo, or your customers logos and signs?

should be a way to do that

LG
:rolleyes:
Luis G
Industrial Designer
MacOSX 10.10, Yosemite
Shark FX V8, Beta testing Shark FX V9-1146
www.miditec.com.mx
www.diferro.com
misterrogers  
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:05:48 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Originally Posted by: lgrijalva Go to Quoted Post
The render library window have an user library option, and is present for all the render options, including decals, but only working for new textures.

LG
:rolleyes:

How do you correctly import new textures? If I find a woodgrain bitmap image online or something, how can I import it to use? I don't understand the directions in the manual at all. Maybe I'm slow. :)
lgrijalva  
#16 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2010 3:45:49 PM(UTC)
lgrijalva

well, to set a custom image texture, first you have to put your image file on your textures folder on the shark's directory (on Macosx Applications/sharkfx/PhotoRender/Textures), so it can be available to be selected from inside the application, here you have a video to manage to set a custom texture, the image is just a sample and not a good one for a right texture

Hope this help
Luis G.
File Attachment(s):
customtextures.mov (949kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Luis G
Industrial Designer
MacOSX 10.10, Yosemite
Shark FX V8, Beta testing Shark FX V9-1146
www.miditec.com.mx
www.diferro.com
misterrogers  
#17 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:47:39 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

Thank you!