logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
misterrogers  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2009 10:31:34 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

This is probably a dumb question, but I am quite new to Shark:

I'm trying to figure out how to "sub-divide" any given face into any arbitrary number of faces.. Is this possible?
misterrogers  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 4, 2009 7:36:41 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

In case anyone is confused with my question, I'm referring to the operation available in some other 3d apps like MAYA or 3D Studio known as "Sub-Divide" whereby a "mesh" is created upon any given face. Once created, the mesh becomes multiple new faces which are also editable. Hope this makes sense.
Tem  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 4, 2009 11:41:25 PM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have not seen the functionality you are inquiring about in Shark. I have seen something similar to it in Cinema4D, and other mesh modelers. Different technology for a different purpose.

Actually, not in any CAD surface/solid modeler. I have seen a technology called t-splines, which has become a plugin for Rhino3D. T-Splines provides similar functionality to what you are asking for.

With Nurbs surface modeling one can increase the UVs of a surface, turn on control points for that surface, and then push and pull those points all over the place. Maybe this is close to what you are looking for?

Good Luck!
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 4:28:48 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tem Go to Quoted Post
Different technology for a different purpose.

Yes, it's important not to get these confused! :)

You can always export to a mesh modeller (Cheetah3D comes highly recommended if you use a Mac) from Shark using OBJ.

Hope that helps
zumer  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 5:53:59 AM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
No, subdivision surfaces are created using algorithms like Catmull-Clarke. That subdivision process changes the shape of the surface of the facet object, which would obviously be less than ideal for CAD. Subdivision surfaces are used in gaming and graphic applications to smooth localised regions on a surface so that it can represent different levels-of-detail depending on the viewpoint, as dynamic animation works better with less detail (fewer faces) to render on-the-fly. CAD apps produce objects that are relationally invariant regardless of scale or viewpoint. They may have provision to refine faceting for production machining or rendering, but that's done in the context of the finished entity, not as a process in it's creation, as used in 3DS Max or Cinema 4D. That's one reason why those programs are regarded as graphic design apps rather than product design CAD, for example.
posh.de  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 8:17:13 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post
...a "mesh" is created upon any given face. ...

"Edit > Change Object Type... > Mesh..." ?

N.
ttrw  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 11:34:32 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Oh dear- I feel like a fool now! :eek:
misterrogers  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 9:31:38 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

thanks everyone, Tem & Posh: that is exactly what I was looking for. I should have opened my eyes more. :)

Zumer: point well taken regarding the diff between cad/3d and programs like Maya or Cinema.. I learned Maya in school a few years ago, but never really liked it because I found it cumbersome and had too many features which I'd never use.. plus it seemed to be more for movies/animation which I wasn't interested in..

In fact the teacher I had taught more about rendering and making things pretty rather than modeling which is all I really wanted to focus on.
misterrogers  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 9:41:20 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Tem: I attempted the method of creating a cylinder using NURBS and increased the U=3, V=3 and turning the control points to visible in the object info box. Unfortunately I wasn't able to select any points other than the ones that comprised the curve(s) that created the geometry to begin with.. ie. none of the intersecting UV points could be selected.. What am I doing incorrectly?

Thanks!
Steve.M  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 10:18:32 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post
I attempted the method of creating a cylinder using NURBS and increased the U=3, V=3 and turning the control points to visible in the object info box. Unfortunately I wasn't able to select any points other than the ones that comprised the curve(s) that created the geometry to begin with.. ie. none of the intersecting UV points could be selected.. What am I doing incorrectly?

Hi,

You would need to "change type" of the cylinder to "surfaces", then either "elevate" or "rebuild" the surface to increase the control points to edit.

- Steve
Steve.M attached the following image(s):
2009-10-06_051135.png (46kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
misterrogers  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2009 9:23:01 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

thanks Steve the diagram helps a lot. i'm gonna try that again.
misterrogers  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2009 9:30:46 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

And it works just fine. This saves a ton of time and steps. Thanks a bunch! Just one more reason I love this program.