logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
misterrogers  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2009 8:23:58 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Has anyone had any problem where they tried to launch Shark after it had already been successfully installed for several weeks, only to see a menu pop up that asked to RE-AUTHORIZE it?

I emailed the tech-support about it, as I had to actually go through re-authorization once again. I know I did not accidentally delete any file, nor have I upgraded anything else such as 10.5 to Snow Leopard or anything of the like.

I've never had this happen with any other program in my decade+ using mac graphic/cad software so it's somewhat puzzling..

Mac OS X 10.5.6
2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:39:48 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You are not alone. You may have to email Tim on this one;

[email protected]
Birger  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:12:25 AM(UTC)
Birger

Man
Norway

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
It is probably not relevant to your finding, but my experience is that this may happen if you e.g. upgrade your system, change your harddisk or try to run Shark off another disk than the internal one.

E.g.: I just upgraded to OSX 10.6.1 on my 2009 MacBook Pro and when doing so I first cloned the internal disk to an external firewire disk. To check everything before formatting he internal one, I then booted from the external disk and checked some of the software. Shark FX then asks you to re-authorize! Dont ask me why? Remember this is an exsact clone and it is running from the exact same computer.
Then made a clean install on the internal disk and had the system import all my software and data back. rebooting from the internal disk and Shark FX is running fine, - no questions on re-authirizing.
Steve.M  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:28:30 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This sort of online_line authorization is a pain.

What gets me, is it is the paying customer who ends up having to jump through hoops to get their legal copy of the software running, then (like) 2d/3d, if it is re-installed (maybe due to re-installation of the OS) then re-authorization is needed again. I have never really liked this approach simply due to the fact Punch could stop trading tomorrow (well no company can guarantee how long they will be around) and I(we) would never be able to re-install the software again. It would not look so bad if the protection on the software actually worked to stop hackers/cracks, but it does not.
posh.de  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:10:47 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Birger Go to Quoted Post
...this is an exsact clone and it is running from the exact same computer.

but another drive with another hardware id.

Norbert
posh.de  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:13:21 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post
...as I had to actually go through re-authorization once again.

did you maybe have used another user account?

Norbert
posh.de  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:19:00 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
...would never be able to re-install the software again.

a good argument for a hardware lock but...

... in those cases typically either an auth. code not node-locked is provided or the license server is outsourced to an external service provider for some time.

N.
Steve.M  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:20:06 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: posh.de Go to Quoted Post
... in those cases typically either an auth. code not node-locked is provided or the license server is outsourced to an external service provider for some time.

In a perfect world yes. But then again, in a perfect world there would be no need to have practically useless protection, and then again, vendors would not go bump.
misterrogers  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2009 10:21:43 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

Hi guys.. wow lots of feedback. Good to see!! Tech-supt did email me back as follows:

From time to time, operating system updates do erase the registration files. When this happens you have to re-register the software. To this point we have only seen two updates that have done this, so we do not expect it to be an on going occurrence.

For the moment it has not re-occurred. It is annoying, but I do expect glitches in any software I suppose.. Which is a shame, because I REALLY enjoy the functionality and extreme ease of Shark for what I do (furniture/lighting).
ttrw  
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2009 11:05:05 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
It's good to have you on board misterrogers :)

Tim should be releasing a SFX7 beta very soon- so I would imagine, if all goes well, the release will probably be just after Xmas 2015.

Only kidding! :D

From what I've/ we've seen, there are some really neat new advancements to the software, but it would also be great if Tim could sort those other bugs out too. Eh Tim?? ;)

There is a current tendency for CAD vendors to announce loads of groovy new features, without fixing the older features first (hello SketchUp, hello Solidworks......). If Tim gets his shit together proper, SFX will sing, but there are a few mouse turds in the soup at the moment, these really need picking out and throwing away.

Glad you enjoy SFX. We all do :)

Tom