logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
misterrogers  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2009 2:19:17 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Suppose I have a curve whose ends points have arbitrary normals as in not X,Y,Z.. Whats the best way to exactly get a profile shape like an ellipse for example to be snapped directly onto that point to be swept or extruded along path?

I know I can look at the profile from the plan, elevation or end view and rotate it accordingly, but there must be an better method..
zumer  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2009 3:32:27 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Don't know about better, but different. Since a single endpoint doesn't describe a normal, I'd use the endpoint and an arbitrary point on the curve, maximum zoom will give best resolution, as points for a cylinder, which will have a face that's normal to the endpoint that can be used as a construction workplane, to draw or place a profile on.

You have the option of perpendicular sweep, too.
Steve.M  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2009 7:03:31 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi,

First, show the workplane (workplane- show workplane). Select the curve, then move the cursor over the end of the curve you want to place the circle(or shape) and you will see the cursor snap to the end position, then press the "C" key. The workplane will move to that endpoint.

I have attached a vid to show.

You will see the workplane suddenly move, that is when I have pressed the "C" key

The vid is in xvid format

Workplane move

misterrogers  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2009 8:01:27 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

perfect! thanks guys for the help. didn't know about the "C" key shortcut that moves the workplane but i can see it becoming very useful for me from here on.
Steve.M  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2009 8:16:43 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Yes, it can save time.
You do need to be cautious, as if you press the "C" key again, the workplane will move, it will toggle between various orientations. So it is good practice to just visually check that the arrow, which shows the positive Z direction, is actually pointing in the correct direction.
You can then, if wanted, go to "view- view the plane" to get an ortho view looking down on the new workplane.
zumer  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2009 9:07:31 PM(UTC)
zumer

I echo the thanks, Steve. That is useful, and I wouldn't have found it, or that the WP tags along to any point along the curve, which is great for aligning profiles for lofts.

murray
misterrogers  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2009 8:04:35 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

what a "lofty" tutorial. :D
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2009 3:59:57 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post
perfect! thanks guys for the help. didn't know about the "C" key shortcut that moves the workplane but i can see it becoming very useful for me from here on.

The 'C' key changed my ViaCAD life! lol! ;):D