logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
misterrogers  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 7:59:17 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

I know how to select an object and send it to a different layer, but how do you easily send say 10 or 20 objects to the same, new layer simultaneously?

It seems that when I select several objects and right-click to open menu that allows me to choose new layer, only the first object selected moves there. I thought about "grouping" the objects as one and then transferring THAT group to a new layer, but that seems like one step too many.

Is there an easy way to send multiples to the same new layer?

Thanks!
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:42:27 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post
I know how to select an object and send it to a different layer, but how do you easily send say 10 or 20 objects to the same, new layer simultaneously?

It seems that when I select several objects and right-click to open menu that allows me to choose new layer, only the first object selected moves there. I thought about "grouping" the objects as one and then transferring THAT group to a new layer, but that seems like one step too many.

Is there an easy way to send multiples to the same new layer?

Thanks!

Hi misterrogers

If you select your objects and rt click on the layer you want to move them to, the menu has the move object to new.

Or select objects rt click on one of the selected and rt click layer--> more... --> new layer ok. This will create a new layer with selected objects but you have to rename in the concept explorer.

Did you try these and they don't work?

Regards
Jason
Windows 11, 10
mlochala  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 10:59:54 AM(UTC)
mlochala

Select all objects, then click Edit-->Change Layer and then select an existing layer or create a new one in the drop box.

For some reason in ViaCAD V6.856, using the right click 'Change Layer' option does not work to change the layer for multiple objects. At least not for me, anyway.
mlochala  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:04:15 AM(UTC)
mlochala

Well, let me make an amendment to my first response...

If you have an Object Information dialogue box open, you can also select multiple items and then change the layer in it as well. I just discovered this.

Hmmm....learn new things everyday.
jdi000  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:42:01 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Originally Posted by: mlochala Go to Quoted Post
Select all objects, then click Edit-->Change Layer and then select an existing layer or create a new one in the drop box.

For some reason in ViaCAD V6.856, using the right click 'Change Layer' option does not work to change the layer for multiple objects. At least not for me, anyway.

The rt click menu in v7 works differently to v6 all selected objects are applied to the action instead of the one object you rt click on.

If you select objects and rt click on the layer you can change all selected to layer in v6. If I select all objects and use edit --> change layer it works ok VC856 Vista.

Jason
Windows 11, 10
misterrogers  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:04:56 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Thanks guys. Using Shark FX build 853, I was able to now go to Edit> Change Layer after having selected all objects. I never noticed that before.. Used to open concept explorer, make new layer and rt click to send each object individually... took forever. Now I know!! :)
jdi000  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2010 4:05:59 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post
Thanks guys. Using Shark FX build 853, I was able to now go to Edit> Change Layer after having selected all objects. I never noticed that before.. Used to open concept explorer, make new layer and rt click to send each object individually... took forever. Now I know!! :)

Concept explorer layers still is pretty quick, you can select all your objects and goto concept explorer new layer --> then rt click rename layer -->then rt on the new layer name and select move all objects to new "layer"

Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
change selected to new.PNG (45kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
misterrogers  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2010 7:20:36 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

It works! Thanks Jdi knew about this one either and I use concept explorer all the time. At least now I don't have to rt-click one object at a time.