logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
misterrogers  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2009 8:19:26 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

Hi, I'm new here..

I'm having difficulty with the Center-Point Polygon tool..

In THEORY, when I click on my center-point and release the mouse, I should then be able to type in my Width and Height and then when I hit Return, the geometry should appear with the center-point exactly where I originally clicked.

This however is NOT the case with me. What I'm seeing instead, is that upon hitting Return, the shape shifts such that the lower-left corner of the Square/Rectangle ALWAYS ends up on the 0,0,0 axis.

The only way I can get around this is by placing my center-point and then arbitrarily clicking the second point anywhere and THEN adjusting the parameters of Width/Height manually in their respective fields.

Am I doing something wrong here or is there an update to my 731 build which I currently use?

Gracias.
chipmaker2  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2009 10:13:14 AM(UTC)
chipmaker2

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This tool doesn't work like the circle one point tool.

For windows

One way to get what you want done is to set the origins to the point you want. From the menu > WorkPlane >origins>click point you where you want to place polygon then do the same thing you're doing now.

Second way is to click on desired location drag too and double click in Width data box and type in the value then without touching the mouse hit Tab and type height in Height data box then hit enter then hit Esc button.

Third way, click on the point desired drag out to an arbitrary point. Now type in the height and width in the respective data boxes and hit enter.

You can always do what you are doing now and drag the polygon to where you want it when it's selected with the select tool.

I think that the X,Y and Z coordinates should update when we click on a point using the Center-Point Polygon Tool as you are doing now it would make the tool easier to use.

"Buena Suerte"

ViaCad 2D3D
Windows
misterrogers  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2009 10:45:11 AM(UTC)
misterrogers

Hey thanks Chipmaker2. I'm about to try those options now. Gotta confess I haven't used Shark very long but I absolutely love it. Only feature I would like to add, is face, edge and vertex selection/manipulation. Maybe in v6? One can only hope.. :)
chipmaker2  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2009 11:55:19 AM(UTC)
chipmaker2

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
misterrogers

I attached a file that shows selecting faces of a 3D solid with the deep select tool and some resulting modifications. Hope this helps!
You might get the results you're looking for with your version.

Chuck
chipmaker2 attached the following image(s):
Selected 3D faces etc.jpg (71kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
misterrogers  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:32:57 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Thanks a bunch chipmaker it totally works! Your method eliminates some unnecessary steps I'd been doing.

Also while we're on the subject, are you aware of any method to easily "sub-divide" faces into multiple faces at precise locations?

again thank you!