logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LeeM  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:09:40 PM(UTC)
LeeM

Hi all,

I'm currently using the trial version of VC6 (build 786) but have run into a few problems.

1. I draw a 2d circle, then draw a smaller circle in the centre of the first circle and then extrude the whole thing.
Now I switch to 3d and add a simple hole through my disc.
When I switch back to 2d the simple hole is missing - should this happen ?

2. Model to Sheet. If I try to change the Isometric view to a shaded image it corrupts the whole sheet (views disappear or a second sheet gets superimposed over the first but offset etc.) If I do a printout it looks ok so all the views are still there but I cannot work with them.
Am I doing something wrong ?

I'm using Vista Ultimate 32 bit with 2GB Ram.

Thanks.
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2009 8:07:45 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LeeM Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I'm currently using the trial version of VC6 (build 786) but have run into a few problems.

1. I draw a 2d circle, then draw a smaller circle in the centre of the first circle and then extrude the whole thing.
Now I switch to 3d and add a simple hole through my disc.
When I switch back to 2d the simple hole is missing - should this happen ?

2. Model to Sheet. If I try to change the Isometric view to a shaded image it corrupts the whole sheet (views disappear or a second sheet gets superimposed over the first but offset etc.) If I do a printout it looks ok so all the views are still there but I cannot work with them.
Am I doing something wrong ?

I'm using Vista Ultimate 32 bit with 2GB Ram.

Thanks.

Hi, Lee

1. Yes The simple hole is a 3d object not 2d geometry. You can draw a circle on the surface of the disc and use the cutout tool then you will have the circle in the 2d view.

2. Save the shaded views until you are ready to print. The display issues are Vista and Open GL issues. I have not been able to use shaded images in Model To Sheet on Vista until I am ready to print.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
LeeM  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2009 11:59:07 AM(UTC)
LeeM

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply.

1. Understand.

2. Surprised (and very disappointed) about this problem being Vista related, afterall this is not a new OS anymore. Will Windows 7 have the same problem I wonder ?
Do Punch have any plans to fix this problem (are they aware there is a problem) ?

Regards,
Lee.
posh.de  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2009 5:25:59 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LeeM Go to Quoted Post
2. Surprised (and very disappointed) about this problem being Vista related, afterall this is not a new OS anymore. Will Windows 7 have the same problem I wonder ?
Do Punch have any plans to fix this problem (are they aware there is a problem) ?

the problem may be caused by the way VC/SRK is using [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL"]OpenGL[/URL] for the shaded view ports embedded in a [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Device_Interface"]Windows GDI[/URL] based program window in connection with the OGL support of the used video card resp. video card driver especially of Low-End or Gaming video sub-systems for Consumers as e.g. the Intel GMA (low-end) or the ATI Radeon (Gamer) series.

Therefore the display output often can be improved by using a decent video card as e.g. the [URL="http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx_family.html"]nVidia Quadro FX[/URL] series (manufactured by PNY) which provide a video driver supporting the full and recent OGL stack.

This is valid for every OGL based 3D modeler and often leads pros to use XP Pro w/ mature video drivers available instead of Vista. Because of this, Win 7 will include a virtual XP (recent CPUs only) and thus should avoid all of these glitches in general.

btw:
- what video card and exact driver version are you currently using?
- checked for a more recent driver version on the website of the video card maker already?

hth,
Norbert
LeeM  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:39:29 AM(UTC)
LeeM

Originally Posted by: posh.de Go to Quoted Post

- what video card and exact driver version are you currently using?
- checked for a more recent driver version on the website of the video card maker already?

My card is an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS with the latest drivers (186.18) (downloaded last week after finding the shading problem with VC)

Lee.