logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
klais  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:08:56 PM(UTC)
klais

As a new user, I was just exploring the manual for ViaCAD 2D/3D and ran into something I would like to get clarified. On page 38 there is a section explaining how to create geometry offset from a point. When I attempt this procedure using the single line tool as follows:

1. Select single line tool
2. Click existing endpoint snap position to lock start point coordinates
3. Append offset "-1.5" onto "Y" data entry field and hit return key

At this point, a line is defined and my cursor position is left at the original snap position with a new line partially defined. Is this the correct behavior, or am I missing something? The manual makes it sound like you get a new offset start point after hitting return, and then continue to complete the same line definition.

Regards,
Kevin
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:14:01 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi, Kevin

It seems to not work as described in the manual... (Is this a bug or a typo in the manual?)

If you click a lines first point and then a second point you can tab and change length, angle...

and you can offset the first point you clicked of the line by adding or subtracting values in the x and y, when the line is selected.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
klais  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:10:49 PM(UTC)
klais

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the confirmation. I guess I'll compile a list of manual errors as I work through the part I am trying to model. I just found another one related to creating hole features in a solid.

Kevin
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 6:01:00 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Hi, Kevin

What did you find with the hole feature? What build of version 6 are you running?

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Steve.M  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 8:40:15 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
It seems to not work as described in the manual... (Is this a bug or a typo in the manual?)

Hi Jason,

I would say a bug.
From what is put forward in the manual, I would expect when entering the offset and then the return key is pressed, that only that field would be updated with the offset value entered, then the user would continue and set the endpoint of that line. In fact what happens (when drawing a line) is that after entering an offset and pressing return, the line is completed from all data in all fields and that the offset value is actually added to the end of the line.

- Steve
klais  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 10:56:38 AM(UTC)
klais

Hi Jason,

When constructing a hole feature, the last step in the manual indicates the opportunity for adjustment of the hole size, location, and draft angle using the data entry panel. One never gets to this point due to early command termination in the previous step of locating the hole center. See manual page 299, "Creating a simple hole".

I am running ViaCAD V6, build 786.

Regards,
Kevin
jol  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 11:05:31 AM(UTC)
jol

Klais - is there an opportunity for you to use a later build ? Just that that's quite old now and I know Tim's done some work on holes .. perhaps Jan/Feb time
Steve.M  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 11:37:55 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Kevin,

Send a Pm to Tim, or look at this post http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=2345

I can understand confusion as to what is put forward in the user guide and to what actually happens, but please use the latest avilable version so not to get confused on what was, and now is, a possible problem/bug.

By the way,

Welcome to the somewhat unpredictable (at times) world of Viacad. :)

Post all you can on issues. There are a number of users here who will help (my self included) where possible.
jdi000  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 12:24:10 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Originally Posted by: klais Go to Quoted Post

I am running ViaCAD V6, build 786.

Kevin

Goto help ---> Current version and see if it gives you a later version to update to.

Jason
Windows 11, 10
klais  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 12:30:11 PM(UTC)
klais

Hi all,

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I will contact Tim and ask for the newer build.

Cheers,
Kevin
Steve.M  
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 7:05:51 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Kevin,

Originally Posted by: klais Go to Quoted Post
When constructing a hole feature, the last step in the manual indicates the opportunity for adjustment of the hole size, location, and draft angle using the data entry panel.

The "Simple hole" does appear to work correctly in the latest build (I do remember reports of that, so it was fixed). I can edit as mentioned in the user manual.

The hole with countersink and draft, I am not sure about, as it puts a step between the countersink and the draft hole, which is of course not what you reported, but I will need to look more to see if that is a possible reportable bug.

- Steve