logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Justin Mayer  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2007 7:31:27 PM(UTC)
Justin Mayer

Hi. I'm just learning ViaCAD and am wondering if someone could tell what the easiest way is to change the length of a solid?
Thanks, Justin Mayer
dexter  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2007 8:37:43 PM(UTC)
dexter

Depending on how the solid was made, there are a number of ways:

You could use the scale tool and change its size in any or all directions.
You could alter the original linework/sketches that you used to create it.
You could use the direct select tool (white arrow) and select just the area you want to stretch, then pull in the direction that you want.

Note that selecting actions are different depending if you drag right to left or left to right!
Justin Mayer  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 8:00:38 PM(UTC)
Justin Mayer

Thanks Dexter. Hmmm. So say I make a shape with the multi-line tool. It's a profile that isn't exactly a square but is closed. As far as I can tell in order to make it a solid I need to do an extrude function. In order to not get the "curves are not planar" message I need to group the profile before I can extrude it. After extruding it now becomes a solid, right? Then when I select either an individual line or a face with either of the arrow tools when I pull on the line or lines the entire solid moves. I can't get just one line or face to actually move which is what my original intention was in order to change the thickness. Any advise would be most appreciated.
Thanks, Justin
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 11:54:53 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Justin, you may want to post your file.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Claus  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:02:20 AM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
To make a non-planar curve planar, use the "project curve to plane" tool. Do this with all curves at the same time (Shift-select them).

You dont have to group the curves to extrude, just select them all with the extrude tool.

To move the faces of the resulting solid use the "move face" or "offset face" tools.

Claus