logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
unique  
#21 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2009 2:52:20 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
Hi jtfx

There is a bug here it seems where the holes located on the xz & yz plane are not displaying the center dim mark, I am getting half the mark but not the vertical part. If your holes were on the xy plane they would display. This is only happening on polyline edges.

You are absolutely correct, it does work but only when the bore is in the XY plane...looks buggy to me too
jtfx  
#22 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2009 7:16:40 PM(UTC)
jtfx

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
Hi jtfx

There is a bug here it seems where the holes located on the xz & yz plane are not displaying the center dim mark, I am getting half the mark but not the vertical part. If your holes were on the xy plane they would display. This is only happening on polyline edges.

The option click during hole creation is to create a center point when the hole is created.

ViaCAD & ViaCAD Pro draws a polyline approximation instead of precise curves in the sheet views but it will accurately dimension a radius or diameter dimension the program pulls the precise dimension corresponding to the polyline representation of each curve, and the center dim mark should definitely work when everything is running good.

Regards

Jason

Thanks,

I took a look at your file and see what you mean.

However, I must be doing something else wrong as I can't get my center dimension to work in any plane? I can't get the horizontal center line in the xz, yz planes as your file shows, or both in the xy plane.

The file you attached, you just created a block, used the simple hole tool and created the holes, went to sheet view, picked the center dimension tool, clicked on the edge of the circle and it worked, or half worked, depending on what plane your hole was in?

That is what I tried, and I'm merrily clicking away with the center dimension tool in sheet view and nothing happens...

Edit: Sorry newbie mistake, I didn't realize I needed to select the particular view in sheet view before trying to add the center dimension to a hole on that face.
jtfx  
#23 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:17:20 AM(UTC)
jtfx

I'm making progress, I think.

While I'm not sure it is the best solution, I have found that I can quickly overlay circles over my "fancy" holes in sheet view with the logic assistant and the 3 point circle tool, then center mark that circle and dimension it.

Typically I need to show all 6 sides of a block. My latest issue is that in views of say, the bottom, will have the dimension text "reversed", or mirrored. i.e. I am dimensioning on the bottom view, but the software is dimensioning the bottom view from the top, then since you are looking up at the dimensions from the bottom, the numbers are correct, but reversed like the the "R" in the toysrus logo.

Anyway to change that?
tmay  
#24 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2009 10:01:24 AM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: jtfx Go to Quoted Post

While I'm not sure it is the best solution, I have found that I can quickly overlay circles over my "fancy" holes in sheet view with the logic assistant and the 3 point circle tool, then center mark that circle and dimension it.

Typically I need to show all 6 sides of a block. My latest issue is that in views of say, the bottom, will have the dimension text "reversed", or mirrored. i.e. I am dimensioning on the bottom view, but the software is dimensioning the bottom view from the top, then since you are looking up at the dimensions from the bottom, the numbers are correct, but reversed like the the "R" in the toysrus logo.

Anyway to change that?

I had an electronics housing that I had to dimension bottom features from the housing origin and had the same problem. Easiest solution for me was to duplicate the model with history (this is SharkFX) and flip the model so the bottom became the top.

Workaround only. Needs to be fixed.

tom
unique  
#25 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2009 1:23:47 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: tmay Go to Quoted Post
I had an electronics housing that I had to dimension bottom features from the housing origin and had the same problem. Easiest solution for me was to duplicate the model with history (this is SharkFX) and flip the model so the bottom became the top.

Workaround only. Needs to be fixed.

tom

Hi Tom,

Probably a silly question but why not create a new view "bottom" ?
tmay  
#26 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2009 2:30:27 PM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
Hi Tom,

Probably a silly question but why not create a new view "bottom" ?

Dimension leaders didn't come out correctly when I used ISO dimensioning on the bottom view. Other minor oddities as well. I'll knock a sample together in a while and post.

tom
tmay  
#27 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2009 2:50:35 PM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: tmay Go to Quoted Post
Dimension leaders didn't come out correctly when I used ISO dimensioning on the bottom view. Other minor oddities as well. I'll knock a sample together in a while and post.

tom

I've attached a PDF to show the issues with flipped text using ISO dimensioning.

tom
File Attachment(s):
Shark FX bottom ISO dimensioning.pdf (156kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jdi000  
#28 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2009 3:51:13 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jtfx Go to Quoted Post

Anyway to change that?

Hi jtfx

I do not see this issue on windows maybe its a mac issue, If you could post a simple file of a block with btm view I could try loading in windows...

Workaround you can change the workplane before dimensioning the bottom view and that should do the trick for the dimension with reversed letters.

GoTo Menu workplane 1. show workplane 2. workplane by 3 points roll your model around to back and pick the btm left corner of block as origin and btm right as point 2 and top right as point three and the workplane should be setup go back to sheet view or draw of bottom and try dimensioning. Maybe it won't work because of the bug?

I attached a file load it and see if the dimensions stay or they reverse like you are seeing.

FYI, You can also use the "c" key to toggle through placing workplanes after a point or vertex snap is activated.

Regards

Jason
File Attachment(s):
allviewtest.vc3 (1,383kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10