logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jtfx  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 3, 2011 3:46:10 PM(UTC)
jtfx

1) Where is the "Gripper" and how do I use it?

2) In V6, I used to "drill" a bunch of holes on a block. These holes would have a center point. I could then click in the center of the hole to select it, and move this center (and the hole that went with it) around on the surface of the block. I can't seem to do that in V7, I click away, and there is never a center to the holes? I suspect this is a preference somewhere that I don't have set in v7?

3) I have a "designed" block. I usually make my blocks by drawing a rectangle and extruding it. I find this the easiest way to get a block with one corner on the origin. After I "drill" some holes in the block, and place some parts on it, how can I change the size of the block? I thought there would be some way to call up the attributes of the block and enter a new width or height, but couldn't figure out how to do that. I then tried to find a way to "pull" on and edge, to no avail. The last method sounds a like it may be a possibility with the "gripper", hence question 1.
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 3, 2011 4:15:15 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>Where is the "Gripper" and how do I use it?

The Gripper was introduced in the V7 builds.

Gripper Demo
http://www.csi-concepts.com/Dem...arkFXV7/gripperNudge.mov

Shark V7 V7 Features
http://blog.punchcad.com/?p=58

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
jdi000  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 3, 2011 6:19:32 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jtfx Go to Quoted Post

2) In V6, I used to "drill" a bunch of holes on a block. These holes would have a center point. I could then click in the center of the hole to select it, and move this center (and the hole that went with it) around on the surface of the block. I can't seem to do that in V7, I click away, and there is never a center to the holes? I suspect this is a preference somewhere that I don't have set in v7?

Hi jtfx

Hold down ctrl key when clicking the hole center point location and it will create the center point.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 3, 2011 6:48:38 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jtfx Go to Quoted Post

3) I have a "designed" block. I usually make my blocks by drawing a rectangle and extruding it. I find this the easiest way to get a block with one corner on the origin. After I "drill" some holes in the block, and place some parts on it, how can I change the size of the block? I thought there would be some way to call up the attributes of the block and enter a new width or height, but couldn't figure out how to do that. I then tried to find a way to "pull" on and edge, to no avail. The last method sounds a like it may be a possibility with the "gripper", hence question 1.

Hi jtfx

Try using the block diagonals option that sets 3 points to create a block the first point you click can be right on origin. Then the block diagonal can be modified by changing width and length in the inspector data tab as you describe.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
chipmaker2  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 3, 2011 7:41:08 PM(UTC)
chipmaker2

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
What Jason had to say about square blocks is your best bet. But if your block isn't square or rectangular or you have to split the block and modify it to a point that the input box won't show up try this.
Make a layer and call it my profiles and make it the active layer. Draw your profiles. Leave the layer visible and go back to layer 1 or your solids layer. Extrude the profile and then shut the profile layer off. Later if you need to modify your profile you can activate the layer and make changes and the solid will up date.
Chuck
jtfx  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:43:34 AM(UTC)
jtfx

I love this forum... Off to try the suggestions, thanks guys!