logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jtfx  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:27:39 PM(UTC)
jtfx

I have a fairly complicated model that I have done the "model to sheet command on.

The model to sheet took many hours to complete, I then did a bunch of drawing and labeling on the sheet, so I don't want to delete it.

Now when I go back to work with the model, the program seems to hang for long periods of time with any change, no matter how seemingly minor. I am guessing that the changes I make on the model are simultaneously being changed on the sheet view.

Is there a way I can tell the program to not update the sheet view on the fly so I can get the changes done, then update it all at once when I'm done?

If I am guessing wrong and the sheet view isn't the cause of the spinning beach ball problem, how can I diagnose what is?
Gary  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:56:37 PM(UTC)
Gary

In the draw view properties dialog of each draw view there is an option to "regen manually". select this for each view. When you are ready to regen, select the regen view tool (last tool in tool bar where model to sheet tool is).

Gary
jtfx  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 11:12:44 PM(UTC)
jtfx

Originally Posted by: Gary Go to Quoted Post
In the draw view properties dialog of each draw view there is an option to "regen manually". select this for each view. When you are ready to regen, select the regen view tool (last tool in tool bar where model to sheet tool is).

Gary

I couldn't find the draw view properties dialog for each view?

Using your answer, I searched support looking for where the view properties dialog might be, and stumbled upon that I could turn off "Enable Auto Resolve", which seems to have done what I wanted.

However, one of the changes I made to the model was to import another part and add to my model. I'm not sure why, but the new imported part came in on a separate layer, and did not show up in the sheet. I guessed, maybe incorrectly, that to get it to show up in sheet view, I should move it to the same layer with all the other parts that are currently shown in sheet view. I *think* I figured out how to do that, but it still will not show up in the sheet view. When I select the regen view tool, I get a message that all views are up to date?

I also tried to resolve links under the edit menu, but that option is "greyed out"?

BTW, I am using ViaCad 3d version 6 on a Mac, if that matters to your answer.

And thank you for your initial response, and any further insight you may be able to impart.
billbedford  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2009 3:11:50 AM(UTC)
billbedford

Originally Posted by: jtfx Go to Quoted Post
If I am guessing wrong and the sheet view isn't the cause of the spinning beach ball problem, how can I diagnose what is?

A spinning beach ball is usually a sign that the system has run out of memory and is paging frames to virtual memory. Closing other applications can help as withh adding more memory to your machine.
jdi000  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2009 4:14:32 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
I couldn't find the draw view properties dialog for each view?>>>>>>>>>

Using your answer, I searched support looking for where the view properties dialog might be, and stumbled upon that I could turn off "Enable Auto Resolve", which seems to have done what I wanted.

However, one of the changes I made to the model was to import another part and add to my model. I'm not sure why, but the new imported part came in on a separate layer, and did not show up in the sheet. I guessed, maybe incorrectly, that to get it to show up in sheet view, I should move it to the same layer with all the other parts that are currently shown in sheet view. I *think* I figured out how to do that, but it still will not show up in the sheet view. When I select the regen view tool, I get a message that all views are up to date?

I also tried to resolve links under the edit menu, but that option is "greyed out"?

HI jtfx

To open draw view properties, click in the view and the view frame should show, right click on the box in the upper left of the draw view and then pick properties, then the dialog should come up and check manually regen draw views.

Turning off auto resolve is probably not what you want to do, try the manual regen of draw views first. If you make changes with auto resolve off to the parts you may need to manually goto edit menu and hit autoresolve while you have it turned off, it will be greyed out unless there are unresolved items.

If you want to add a part or multiple parts to an existing model to sheet you can display all the layers with model to sheet views and your parts. Select the part/parts you want to add, goto edit menu select copy. Then click on each draw view to activate (you will see red frame when activated) and edit paste into each one until you have then all finished. Parts can be on any layer and do not make a difference if you want them to add to existing model to sheet

Regards

Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
drawviewproperties.PNG (26kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
jtfx  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2009 9:30:53 AM(UTC)
jtfx

Thanks! I'm all set...

If it wasn't for this forum, I would have long since given up, or thrown my computer out the window...

All the help is much appreciated.

=
Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
HI jtfx

To open draw view properties, click in the view and the view frame should show, right click on the box in the upper left of the draw view and then pick properties, then the dialog should come up and check manually regen draw views.

Turning off auto resolve is probably not what you want to do, try the manual regen of draw views first. If you make changes with auto resolve off to the parts you may need to manually goto edit menu and hit autoresolve while you have it turned off, it will be greyed out unless there are unresolved items.

If you want to add a part or multiple parts to an existing model to sheet you can display all the layers with model to sheet views and your parts. Select the part/parts you want to add, goto edit menu select copy. Then click on each draw view to activate (you will see red frame when activated) and edit paste into each one until you have then all finished. Parts can be on any layer and do not make a difference if you want them to add to existing model to sheet

Regards

Jason
jdi000  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2009 1:04:54 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
hi jtfx

glad you got what you needed, post questions anytime.

regards

jason
Windows 11, 10
jtfx  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:25:51 AM(UTC)
jtfx

I had to go back to the drawing this post was about to make some changes.
I have checked "regen manually" far all views in my sheet. Yet everytime I make a change, I get a note that certain views are regening and I have to wait a bit for it to complete.

i went back to the sheet and verified again that the views that I keep seeing are being regened do in fact have the "regen manually" block checked, and they do?

Any thoughts what I am doing wrong?

I do have the sheet view turned off while I'm making these changes.
Tim Olson  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:52:29 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>Any thoughts what I am doing wrong?

If you can zip & send the file via private email at [email protected] I can take a look to see if there is a bug with the regen of sheet views.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
jtfx  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:32:02 PM(UTC)
jtfx

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
>>Any thoughts what I am doing wrong?

If you can zip & send the file via private email at [email protected] I can take a look to see if there is a bug with the regen of sheet views.

Tim

Tim,

I sent the file, and a PM of explaination,
Tim Olson  
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2010 12:41:45 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Tim,

I sent the file, and a PM of explaination,

Received, making excellent progress, will report back shortly.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#12 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2010 9:56:15 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>the program seems to hang for long periods of time with any change, no >>matter how seemingly minor.

Fixed in the 940 build. Although not regening the views, it was still doing a series of unnecessary calculations.

I also tested the model in Shark and was surprised to see how much faster the views were updated using the CATIA V5 hidden line algorithm over the polyline hidden line algorithm. The Shark products use some technology licensed from Dassault for 2D drawing generation where as ViaCAD uses a line/facet algorithm provided as part of the ACIS kernel.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore