logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jonah  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2007 5:28:27 PM(UTC)
jonah

This might fall under the absence of "sheet metal" tooling but i have a question. Can i rotate a surface or solid along an axis (hinge) to meet another point? In reality im working with a dodecahedron made of regular pentagons. For illustration purposes, if i have a box with one open face, attached along an edge and open at an arbitrary angle, how would i "close" the box. When i chose the three point revolve it only allows me to pivot around only one point and not along an edge. When i use the single point revolve i can choose an arbitrary axis, my attached edge or "hinge", but it requires me to input an exact angle which i do not for certain (easier to measure with a cube than a irregular polygon). Is this possible?
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:25:58 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>Can i rotate a surface or solid along an axis (hinge) to meet another point?

You may want to explore the bend tool. This tool will bend a surface or solid using a specified angle and radius value about a hinge line.

It does not accept a point to bend to. You will need to specify the angle.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Art  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2007 3:14:58 PM(UTC)
Art

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
If you are rotating a separate piece around a line you have to establish a new working plane and use that. With a dodecahedron you might be best establishing a new workplane using the 3 point method, this is what I usually do. It is time consuming but I do not know of a better way.

It would be great if we could select a line to pivot around like the revolve tool. What do you think Tim?

Art Carr

I just placed a line to define my pivot point,used the "select object command" under "workplane" and used the rotate 3 points command and it worked great.