logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PMFWrangler  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:08:40 PM(UTC)
PMFWrangler

I have made several test equipment models (printed circuit boards, connectors, cables, off the shelf extruded cases) and then exploded them manually to go from model to sheet for unit assembly drawings. This was using ViaCAD 2D/3D V6. I just purchased Shark FX V7 and hope to find a more automated process for doing this. I cannot find anything that looks like that in SFX.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
PMFWrangler
NickB  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:24:41 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It would be a nice feature, but sadly the ability to auto-explode an assembly does not exist in any Shark product.

If the aim is to get several 2D drawings of different parts there are a couple of options: Select all the objects that you want converted to sheet views and click the box that says "One part per sheet". The other option is to make sure that you are using the layers to organize your parts and then selectively turn on and off layers.

If the aim is to create an exploded assembly drawing, I would either duplicate the file and manually explode, or copy everything onto a layer named Exploded, and manually explode the parts on that layer, but keep the originals in their original assembled positions.

Hope that helps.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
PMFWrangler  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 13, 2010 10:11:13 PM(UTC)
PMFWrangler

Nick,
Thanks for the suggestions. I particularly like copying the model to a new layer named "Exploded" and manually exploding that. Some of the models I worked on last year were too complex and memory hungry (ViaCAD issue?) to keep two models in the file. Perhaps the combination of FX V7 and my built for modeling PC will make that easier.
Jim (PMFWrangler)
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 14, 2010 9:47:44 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PMFWrangler Go to Quoted Post
Nick,
Thanks for the suggestions. I particularly like copying the model to a new layer named "Exploded" and manually exploding that. Some of the models I worked on last year were too complex and memory hungry (ViaCAD issue?) to keep two models in the file. Perhaps the combination of FX V7 and my built for modeling PC will make that easier.
Jim (PMFWrangler)

Hi Jim

You can try the new reference file feature so there are not two models in 1 file. Insert the exploded model in as a reference file.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
misterrogers  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 14, 2010 7:05:22 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Originally Posted by: PMFWrangler Go to Quoted Post
Nick,
Jim (PMFWrangler)

I've noticed the memory issue too.. at least with Shark 5.5. Duplicating the geometry to a new layer and exploding it manually seemed to bog down my macbook. I have had crashes happen more often than not as a result. Maybe this problem will go away with v7 like you say.
PMFWrangler  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 1:53:09 PM(UTC)
PMFWrangler

I almost have my new PC (i7-950 Quad core CPU, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD, GeForce GTX 260 video, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) up and running. I am looking forward to trying the reference file idea. Or course, I am also interested in how much better it works than ViaCAD V6 for the somewhat complex model I have.

One more question; if I open the ViaCAD file should I save in Shark format before playing with it?

Thanks!
Jim
NickB  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 6:45:55 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Shark will open the ViaCAD file as native, as they have a common file format. No need to convert

I think you will find that with your new machine many of your problems will vanish.

I moved from a Core 2 duo with pathetic ATI X1600 graphics to the machine that I am now using (Core i7 860, 8GB, SSD, GTX 260) and suddenly I could do things that would crash my old machine like having large sheets of hex perf both visible and able to rotate in real time without any lag - and this is with Apples sub par Open GL implementation working on hardware that was never meant to support the OS.

Two comments on your hardware. The GTX 460 is about the same price as a 260 and offers substantially better performance - if you can you might want to try and do an exchange. SSD's rock (I have a relatively slow Intel X25), get one if you can. Shark FX launches in under a second on my system, and 100mb plus files open without having to go and get coffee.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc