logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
memphisjed  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 9, 2013 1:42:53 AM(UTC)
memphisjed

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
seeing more and more dstv files coming in taking the place of dwg files. This is wonderful, because dstv has everything the machines want already and so much more.
Sad in dstv is not importable (especially exportable to vcp).
I have no idea how hard it is to generate import and export functions, but it looks like new metal robots and cam are taking this format to be the future.
zumer  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 6:36:31 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
From what I've read, it seems more a process control format than an object design format. It uses standard structural profiles as primitives and predefined routines to relate them and describe their preparation for connection. Bit of an oddball to be standard import, it'd be like import for printed circuit board layout, pads and tracks.
memphisjed  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2013 6:44:01 PM(UTC)
memphisjed

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I know limited to steel world, but that is likely the big player in robototics/cnc. Motoman, peddinghaus, and controlled automation (CA = the best) have moved their cam software to favor the dstv. Unfortunately they moved without the cad world, leaving us bilingual (machine/drawing) people in a world of frustration.
We can always dxf sides in, the 3d (beams/channels) in one file is the sweet spot. the integrated frp/mrp information is bonus. I am not the cheerleader of mrp, but the days of iso-aint-so and aisc and astm are here, and the documentation takes longer than building in some cases now. the 3d files are really small to, which is nice for networking and the remaining dos dinosaur machines.