logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jarm22  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:19:50 PM(UTC)
jarm22

Man
United States

I have an .stl mesh shape I need to trim. I Have ViaCAD 2D/3D and am considering purchasing Pro (I have the trial version). Can this mesh be trimmed with either of these programs and if so, how do I do it? I have tried intersecting other shapes and solids but so far haven't found the right combination.:confused:
See attached file
File Attachment(s):
partridge3.zip (1,807kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 6:29:52 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
I have some mesh tools I'm exploring where I can delete individual facets of a mesh. I took your file and did some deletes just to test the tool. V8 file attached.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
zumer  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 26, 2013 8:05:53 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Cutting bits off an .stl mesh changes the way that the edges and vertices of many faces meet, which will mean that the object doesn't fit formal .stl criteria anymore, so many RP devices and programs won't recognise them or will choke on them, which usually leads to folk blaming the program that the object was 'trimmed' in for breaking their file... That being said, you can edit the object in VC, either by converting it to a solid boolean operand (click on the object with stitch-to-solid, yours takes more than a half hour on all of my PCs), by editing the vertices, or by global scaling. Editing the vertices is less likely to break the .stl definition.
jlm  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 7:14:27 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
This partridge has too many facets for my CPU and 32 bits Shark...
I waited 20 minutes... still not changed to solid.
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 12:31:46 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Are you looking for something like attached file?

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/misc/partridge2.zip

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
jarm22  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 12:43:50 PM(UTC)
jarm22

Man
United States

Thanks, Tim. I only have the v7 trial edition of ViaCAD Pro. I couldn't open the file with that version. Can you save it in the older version so I can check it? I hope to purchase the latest version of Pro withing the next month, but need to make sure it will do what I need to do.
Thanks, again.
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 12:54:54 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Ok, see if this reads in. I've got some extra developer tools that I used to trim away facets not on the shape, then used another tool to create a polyline on the outline. Not sure if this is what your looking for, but it was fun to test out some tools:)

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/misc/partridge2v7.zip

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
jarm22  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 1:06:14 PM(UTC)
jarm22

Man
United States

That is exactly what I was looking for. Suggestions for appropriate software to accomplish this would be appreciated. I will likely still purchase Pro for more options as I play with 3D designs.
Thanks,
Joe
Tem  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 11:40:37 PM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Mesh modelers are very good at doing the kind of work you wanted done. But they can be problematic in other ways. You might try having a master model in CAD, then exporting it as a mesh, such as in STL format. In this way you can improve your design and output improved mesh files over time? Just an idea.
jarm22  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:32:58 AM(UTC)
jarm22

Man
United States

Thanks again, Tim. I will try that. I am still learning what can be done with ViaCAD so as I explore its possibilities, I will do as you suggest and export my designs as .stl files. I use them in a CAM program for wood carving on a CNC table. I learned a lot just watching the spoon video. When is V9 for Pro going to be released? I will be upgrading from 2D/3D in June and would like to get the latest Pro version.
Have a great day!
Joe