logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jlm  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 4:50:20 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Does anyone knows what means "minor" and "major" ?
Let's call it "anything".
JL
jlm attached the following image(s):
Image 14.png (13kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jol  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 4:52:54 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yep - that's still stupid
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:27:25 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
jlm wrote:
Does anyone knows what means "minor" and "major" ?

Should it be 'x' (horizontal), 'y' (vertical) instead? Yes??

Perhaps its some Aeroplane building spiel, Major, Minor? Dunno. :confused:

Ah I get it!

Major is the greater distance over the lesser distance. It makes sense now, and actually it is less confusing (if that is what it means) than x,y.

Think of a MiniMoog synthesizer panel (if you've ever seen one?), The standard saying for feedback on a synthesizer filter (made by other companies is 'resonance', however on a Moog, it is 'Emphasis'. It's always stayed a emphasis on a Moog, because Bob Moog was the first to put a commercial synthesizer out (pretty much), way back in the late 1960's.

Tim is a pioneer too- in the CAD world. Major and Minor, I would guess, are like Moog's 'Emphasis' label. Do you reckon? Perhaps Tim set these standards, yet everyone else broke them?? (or perhaps it was one of those days and Tim couldn't remember the difference between x and y?? :eek: )
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2008 11:29:46 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
The major/minor diameters are distances along the ellipse major/minor axis. Although 2D, the ellipse can be in any plane, with any orientation, not just the xy plane.

The major axis is initially defined either by the points provided by the user or the x axis of the current workplane. For example, the first two points in the Opposite Point Ellipse, Three Point Ellipse, and Major Axis Ellipse tool define the major axis.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Steve.M  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 7, 2008 5:12:46 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

This did confuse me a little at first. I was expecting to input a center point, with major/minor axis defined from that point, whereas the input is actually 2 outer edges (3 pts) of a defining plane for the ellipse.

Regards,
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 7, 2008 7:50:43 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Steve.M wrote:
This did confuse me a little at first. I was expecting to input a center point, with major/minor axis defined from that point, whereas the input is actually 2 outer edges (3 pts) of a defining plane for the ellipse.

Steve, It can be either, can it not? I've just drawn an ellipse starting with a center point then an x,y axis defined from that point. :)

It is the first tool in the ellipse pallet I believe?
Steve.M  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 7, 2008 8:25:51 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

ttrw wrote:
Steve, It can be either, can it not? I've just drawn an ellipse starting with a center point then an x,y axis defined from that point. :)

It is the first tool in the ellipse pallet I believe?
I was posting in reply to the "major/minor" ellipse
But:-
The first tool (pro) is the "center/point" That is the center of the ellipse with 1(one) further point to define both major/minor rads, (which can give a popup of "Invalid ellipse geometry" if only 1 axis is input from mouse click), it is not as I mentioned. A center point ellipse I usually find as 3 points, first the center, then major then minor axis.
There is the 3 point ellipse, which is the closest to what I was first expecting for the major/minor.