logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jlm  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2008 3:37:09 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
To translate along x, y or z is very easy.

To translate with a x angle I need to draw a "support line" and click both ends.
To change the distance of the translate is impossible unless changing the line length and starting again...
Why don't we have a "distance" box in the translate parameters, exactly like the one we have with the extrude tool ?

JL
jlm attached the following image(s):
Image 21.png (46kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2008 4:25:09 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I haven't got VC in front of me, but can't you just re-enter coordinates by typing in the x, y and z boxes?
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2008 6:07:54 AM(UTC)
ttrw

BTW, I've NEVER been a fan of coordinates. Far too 'ACAD' for my liking! It would be nice (I also use translate a lot) if positioning could be viewed in real time- rather than just 'guessing', and perhaps an 'A to B' window where you can draw a line (with snapping end points), defining A and then B coordinates, where the entities can be then moved or copied?
jlm  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2008 7:55:24 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

ttrw wrote:
can't you just re-enter coordinates by typing in the x, y and z boxes?

I want to type a distance.
When translation isn't parallel to any x, y or z, coordinates are too complex (sinus, tg, etc...).

JL
Art  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2008 1:53:04 PM(UTC)
Art

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Seems like a no-brainer, I have been working around this for years and just never thought to ask.

We should have this.

Art

Macintel Shark FX
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2008 1:22:23 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Yes. I agree
jol  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2008 2:44:55 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
JL .. this would be a terrific (and simple) improvement .. good thinking !!
Gary  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2008 8:43:34 AM(UTC)
Gary

I also think this would be of value.

Is this a data entry field that is blank until some movement is entered in by the move tool? The field would then display the straight line distance and be editable?

Gary
ianjkirby  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2008 8:21:20 PM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Please forgive me if I have misunderstood this, but I see it differently.
When translating, one is asked to nominate a point on the selected object to use as the move reference. One is then able to insert numbers in the data entry field boxes which are in fact distances, not co-ordinates. The data entry boxes are labelled "dx", "dy", and "dz", which are increments of movement for the chosen reference point from its starting position. If you want to move the object in only one direction, just enter a value in that direction's data box. If you wish a move say 45 degrees up and to the right, enter identical positive numbers in dx and dy (if you are working in the top plane), and so on. Try it on a simple 2d object in the default working plane, and you will quickly see how it works.
Regards, Ian Kirby.
Wollongong NSW Australia
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
jlm  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2008 11:03:37 PM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

ianjkirby wrote:
If you wish a move say 45 degrees up and to the right, enter identical positive numbers in dx and dy

Yes, Ian, you are right.
But what do you type in when the angle is 7.27 degree ?
Very often I get the translate direction by clicking 2 points on a solid, but the distance may be different from the 2 points span.
Look at the extrude tool, this is exactly what I need.
Thanks for sharing,
JL
ttrw  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:12:44 AM(UTC)
ttrw

ianjkirby wrote:

When translating, one is asked to nominate a point on the selected object to use as the move reference. One is then able to insert numbers in the data entry field boxes which are in fact distances, not co-ordinates.

Hi Ian,

without getting too picky, but aren't the two things the same anyway, roughly speaking? Working with vectors? That's what I've always been lead to believe.

However, I still agree with JL, how does one translate an odd angle? I for one are always stumped on that one- which usually means the next few hours working out an alternate way of getting round the problem.
Tim Olson  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2008 11:44:21 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
jlm wrote:
To translate along x, y or z is very easy.

To translate with a x angle I need to draw a "support line" and click both ends.
To change the distance of the translate is impossible unless changing the line length and starting again...
Why don't we have a "distance" box in the translate parameters, exactly like the one we have with the extrude tool ?

JL

Thanks JL, added in next upload.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
ianjkirby  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:19:35 PM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Quote:
JLM said;
But what do you type in when the angle is 7.27 degree ?

Quote:
ttrw said; However, I still agree with JL, how does one translate an odd angle?

Hi guys,

If you wish to translate at an angle, then I assume that you also need to translate a distance at that angle, say for example 17.91 units (just to be non-simple). The dx value is simply 17.91*cos(7.27), and the dy value is 17.91*sin(7.27). These expressions are entered into the appropriate data entry fields, and the move takes place (it works - I did check!). Other directions will need appropriate use of the '-' sign.

It is a bit academic now; I see that Tim has offered to put in an "angle" data entry field. I hope he realises that the "distance" field will also be required!

Regards, Ian Kirby.
Wollongong NSW Australia
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
ianjkirby  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:23:23 PM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Oops! When I re-read this thread, I see that Tim has only offered a "distance" data entry field, so maybe the odd angle requirement will still need to be handled by entering mathematical expressions into the data entry fields for dx, dy and dz.

Regards, Ian Kirby.
Wollongong NSW Australia
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
ttrw  
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:14:33 AM(UTC)
ttrw

ianjkirby wrote:

If you wish to translate at an angle, then I assume that you also need to translate a distance at that angle, say for example 17.91 units (just to be non-simple). The dx value is simply 17.91*cos(7.27), and the dy value is 17.91*sin(7.27). These expressions are entered into the appropriate data entry fields, and the move takes place (it works - I did check!). Other directions will need appropriate use of the '-' sign.

Ian, thanks for that! :D

Tim, how about putting this quote from Ian in the 'Tip of the Day' splash screen?

Tom