logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bmeissner  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2007 12:55:09 PM(UTC)
bmeissner

Hello Tim,

I just noticed that exporting to FACT format has some problems when using ViaCad with metric units. I tried the following:

- Created a cube (200 x 300 x 100 mm) in FormZ > exported to STEP
- Imported this cube into ViaCad, size is perfectly ok
- Exported from ViaCad to EIAS/FACT with the following result:

x-dimension (200 mm) becomes 7.874 units in EIAS
y-dimension (300 mm) becomes 11.811 units in EIAS
z-dimension (100 mm) becomes 3.937 units in EIAS

Somehow the geometry units are divided by 2.54, when exporting from ViaCad. Exporting the same cube directly from FormZ results in a 20 x 30 x 10 cube in EIAS as expected.

Regards,
Bernd
WmH  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2007 3:27:42 PM(UTC)
WmH

bmeissner wrote:
Hello Tim,

I just noticed that exporting to FACT format has some problems when using ViaCad with metric units. I tried the following:

- Created a cube (200 x 300 x 100 mm) in FormZ > exported to STEP
- Imported this cube into ViaCad, size is perfectly ok
- Exported from ViaCad to EIAS/FACT with the following result:

x-dimension (200 mm) becomes 7.874 units in EIAS
y-dimension (300 mm) becomes 11.811 units in EIAS
z-dimension (100 mm) becomes 3.937 units in EIAS

Somehow the geometry units are divided by 2.54, when exporting from ViaCad. Exporting the same cube directly from FormZ results in a 20 x 30 x 10 cube in EIAS as expected.

Regards,
Bernd

The fact that it is exactly what you would get if you transfered your model into inches seems too much a coincidence to be ignored.

It is not an inherent issue with fact out to EI, as my models come into EI (fact) from ViaCAD at perfect scale (I am using inches on both ends (ViaCAD and EI) and have not messed with larger scales yet.)
bmeissner  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2007 3:38:31 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

WmH wrote:
It is not an inherent issue with fact out to EI, as my models come into EI (fact) from ViaCAD at perfect scale (I am using inches on both ends (ViaCAD and EI) and have not messed with larger scales yet.)

Yes, TechSupport just confirmed that FACT is written in inches, regardless of the units set in ViaCad. But since EIAS ignores whatever unit a file has, it just takes the numbers and makes them EI units. Together with all my FACT files from FormZ and EI Modeler (both set to metric units, which are exported as such) this leads to a problem.

I'm still looking for a EIM replacement, which ViaCad could definitely be... but this is a bummer.

So this question turns out to be an urgent feature request: Could ViaCad please write the numerical values to FACT, which are shown according to the unit set? Since FACT hasn't any units at all, it's just taking the numbers which are displayed in the software anyway (if set to millimeters/centimeters).

Bernd
nabed  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2007 6:53:33 AM(UTC)
nabed

The messed up scale factor due to the imperial/metric issue is the most commen problem in file import/export.
I'd say get used to it, it will probably be resolved when the last country gives up on inches/yards/miles, that means probably never.:rolleyes:

It is allways a good idea to put your model inside a box of known dimensions/position (of course I'm talking of a virtual box) before exporting it. It makes it much easier to scale to the correct dimension/position afterwards.

Ciao, Norbert
bmeissner  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2007 3:47:13 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

Scott Walters wrote:
Its a simple fix. Look how we export to dwg. There is a drop down to let the user decide which units the file will be.
Adding this option to FACT export will solve your problem.
I'll add it to my list.

This is *exactly* what I wanted to hear :-)

Thank you, this is great support.

Bernd
Pauls03  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2007 7:39:37 AM(UTC)
Pauls03

Yes, it is refreshing to hear that a solution is simple and that attention is put on it.

I really appreciate the customer service I have received .....and dealing with a company which pays attention to user's requests and needs. Keep up the great work!