logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ianjkirby  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:40:08 AM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Hi all,
Well, I have paid for and downloaded the VC6 upgrade (it took 2.4 hours with a broadband link - is that normal??), and now have a .dmg file on my desktop. Forgive me for being cautious, but I would just like to know roughly what to expect when I double click on it. Will it simply change my existing v5 app to v6, or will it create a new app leaving v5 still working? Will I be able to 'see' my v5 files under the v6 'open...' menu, or is there some sort of migration process necessary? If it leaves v5 there, should I delete it after I check that v6 is installed and running properly? Any other hints?
Regards, Ian Kirby.
Wollongong NSW Australia
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 3, 2008 4:56:28 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
A small black hole, the size of a pinhead will appear, which will be followed by the swallowing of the entire contents of the universe! :eek:

Just kidding! ;)

Try it. It worked for me. File history tree and all stays. You may need to trash the old v5 file- but you will find that the whole process is pretty painless. Come on, you've got a Mac! Click that installer! You won't even have to run all that CCleaner registry nonsense either!!

Tom :D
ianjkirby  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 3, 2008 5:41:11 AM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Ok, Tom, thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm just old enough to have been burned enough times that I like to check first. I started out on Macs in 1984 with one of the early 512Ks (after IBM mainframers and Hollereith cards in 1967!!), but eventually had to migrate to "them other'uns" at work early-90s, and have only got back to a macbook 2 years ago when I contemplated retirement, and really wanted to lead an easy life! I am still not used to the ease of installing mac software.
Regards, Ian Kirby.
Wollongong NSW Australia
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
ianjkirby  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 3, 2008 5:47:01 AM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Actually Tom, I have just remembered one of the reasons I am gun-shy. I was operating a (then) high-end cad package on a Sun Apollo system back in the early 90s when the sysadmin, a "friend" of mine, could see from his screen that I was on line. He then somehow made MY screen dissolve into a rainshower of falling pixels, ending up like a sand picture at the bottom of my screen. I remember to this day the abject dismay that I felt at what I saw happening, and not knowing how I had caused it, or how to fix it!
Regards, Ian.
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
ttrw  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 3, 2008 6:54:33 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Sand at the bottom of the screen? That sounds like an early form of virus! If I seem to remember, the screen pixels fall to the bottom of the screen, the virus wipes the hard drive and then your computer crashes! :eek:

Ian, you'll be pleased to know that we have come a long way since then and that OS X only has had 2 virii to date! :)
ianjkirby  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 3, 2008 7:09:09 AM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Quote:
Sand at the bottom of the screen? That sounds like an early form of virus! If I seem to remember, the screen pixels fall to the bottom of the screen, the virus wipes the hard drive and then your computer crashes!

No, no! It was something done deliberately by my sysadmin mate, and he fully restored my work the following day! This was back in the days when computing was fun, at least for some!!
Regards, Ian.
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
ttrw  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:33:46 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Yes I understand :)

I have a love/ hate relationship with computers- I should have this tattooed on my fists, like Robert Mitchum in the Night of the Hunter!

Windows at this very moment is driving me nuts, because windows developers never seem to stick to standards, and most time is wasted just trying to work out where certain buttons have gone! Oh well. One more week and I can throw that PC in the bin!!
Tim Olson  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:49:15 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>Will it simply change my existing v5 app to v6, or
>>will it create a new app leaving v5 still working?

V6 is installed into a new folder. Your V5 is left alone.

>>Will I be able to 'see' my v5 files under the v6 'open...'

Yes.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:54:32 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>high-end cad package on a Sun Apollo system back in the early 90s when t >>He then somehow made MY screen dissolve into a rainshower of falling

Many years ago I was part of a team that designed an CAD system for aircraft an Apollo. We migrated from mainframe cad to workstation cad progressing from PERQ, Apollo, Sun,& Silicon Graphics. I remember the dissolve trick (the screen appeared to melt away), it was a common prank among our designers especially for new hires.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore