logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ianjkirby  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2010 2:03:55 AM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Hi all,
I'm trying to make two bends, parallel but different radius and angle, at opposite ends of a rectangular plate. I am unable to "hold" the middle bit in place (on the x-y plane) while I make the bends. Can anyone please advise if this is possible in VC6, or am I trying to do something which is not possible in this package? How does one hold any particular section while a bend is formed on the rest of the section?
Regards, Ian.
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:40:54 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ianjkirby Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,
I'm trying to make two bends, parallel but different radius and angle, at opposite ends of a rectangular plate. I am unable to "hold" the middle bit in place (on the x-y plane) while I make the bends. Can anyone please advise if this is possible in VC6, or am I trying to do something which is not possible in this package? How does one hold any particular section while a bend is formed on the rest of the section?
Regards, Ian.

Hi Ian

The 3 ways to control the bend direction of the bend tool are ( I am sure you know some of these:

1. Use ctrl to flip bend while bend is active. Dosen't change which leg is bent just flips the leg

2. If you use a line to define the bend points or a line will be drawn by the program if you pick two bend points, change the direction of the bend line (probably the one you are looking for) Changes the leg which is bent

3. Change the angle of the bends in the concept explorer v6 (Inspector v7) --> object info v6 (inspector attributes v7).

Regards

Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
bend lines.PNG (23kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
jol  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:41:03 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Ian - can you post a profile and a surface ? - perhaps we can help then

edit .. oOp.. beaten by JD : )
ianjkirby  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2010 3:13:13 AM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Thanks Jason and Jol,
Jason got it in one, and his pic is exactly what I was trying to do. I have had another go, and while I did eventually get the desired outcome, it still took a lot of trial and error to pick everything in the right order! ...and I'm sure I will not remember that order the next time I need to do this, but at least I now know it can be done!
Thanks guys!
Regards, Ian.
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
jol  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2010 3:43:02 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Ian

Yes - Jason's a total star !

I was using the bend tools a few years ago - and just as you say - with an enormous amount of trial and error - you can get amazing results .. I was able to get some amazing results by bending to a profile in one direction - and then in another direction

The problem is there is zero feedback with this tool - and it's a tool that requires a huge amount of feedback. So - as discussed at the time Tim - we need to see big arrows and ghost previews of what direction things bend in. hover over a bend (whilst in the bend tool) and press ctrl or option and it should flip !! .. and so on

The ant chair (top left) was one of several tutorials - we curved the "wood" to a profile in one direction first - then in the other .. total trial and error .. but the result was good
jol attached the following image(s):
tut.png (214kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
la mouche  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:37:14 AM(UTC)
la mouche

Quote:

The problem is there is zero feedback with this tool - and it's a tool that requires a huge amount of feedback. So - as discussed at the time Tim - we need to see big arrows and ghost previews of what direction things bend in. hover over a bend (whilst in the bend tool) and press ctrl or option and it should flip !! .. and so on

I agree with you :)

Antoine