logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ianjkirby  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2009 5:30:30 AM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Hi all,
While trying various things with text, I have come across a few things which seem very unusual, to say the least.
In the attached pic 'textprobs', the top line is regular text, converted to lines, then extruded. Before I could extrude it, I had to edit out a large quantity of spurious lines. It is also obvious that the letters 'r' and 't' are different! They did not extrude at all on the first attempt, and only extruded when I selected them individually. It can also be seen that most chars extruded in the -ve z direction, even though I entered the +ve z direction. When 'r' and 't' were selected, they extruded in the +ve z direction!
The second line of text was converted to curves, and showed no problems.
The third and fourth lines were done similarly (including the removal of spurious lines from the lines-converted text), but were additionally scaled, which showed a problem with the letter 'R' in the third line. I now know it is something to do with the 'direction' of the lines, but surely, it shouldn't happen!
I have included a second pic, 'lineconv', to show the spurious lines created with the conversion from text to lines. What is not visible in the pic is the few lines some 35000 units to the right! The text is only about 180 units long. If someone wants to look in the file, it may be found using 'select all'.
Are these bugs, or have I done something wrong?
Regards, Ian.

Sorry, I am unable to load the files! I will try again later.
ianjkirby attached the following image(s):
textprobs.jpg (39kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
lineconv.jpg (15kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2009 7:00:48 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Ian, try using Google SketchUp 7. You can do all of this text manipulation in SketchUp. ViaCAD will import SketchUp, and You can export to SketchUp from ViaCAD using DWG/DXF. (SU, of course, is also free).

Tom.
Steve.M  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2009 8:03:21 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Tom,

You can do the 3d text in VC, it is just a case of missing some pitfalls with it.

- Steve
Steve.M  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2009 8:13:01 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Ian,

I am not sure how many other users on forum have had much dealings with 3d text in VC, so I will run through my own findings.

1/ As I mentioned on the other thread, converting the text to lines causes various problems, although I have not seen that problem with the lines going all over the place.
2/ convert the text to curves, less problems.
3/Before converting the text to curves, try using the "Thicken Solid" tool directly on the text
4/If you have converted the text to curves, then only extrude the text in the groups they where created
5/if you dont want to do no 4, then select all the curves of the text- remove links, then select all the curves for an extrude.

That has worked for me.

- Steve