logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hans  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 7:29:35 PM(UTC)
hans

Hi there,
thats my first post in the forum. I had the chance to work with my V6 Pro license for 8 weeks now. I had a good start also with help of the forum, thanks for your more than valuable feedback collection. So far I keep being impressed with the software. All things I had grasped already were extremly well and very productive to use.

However, there are a few issues piled up which I could not resolve yet. I searched the forum extensively but either looked for the wrong key words or missed a section entirely.

The issue at hand about using the history in solid modeling. I think I do understand the idea behind the history function, which is accessible via the concept explorer/Feature tab. I found in the forum that I shoudl have layer for all helper geometry (which solves a lot of issues I had). What I could not find out was how to modify a position of an object in the history.

Lets make a quick example:

I create a cube 100x100x10. Then I have a second cube 10x10x10 and I move it to an overlap position with the first one. Then I use the solid subtract tool to produce a cutout in the first cube, lets say in the upper left corner.
Now going to the history I can see the first cube and the subtract modifier with the second cube as child. I can select the latter and modify its dimensions in the object properties dialog. Works like a charm. Now I find I need to change the cutout from upper left to upper right corner. I would think there is a way to select the second cube and (maybe interactively) move the cube to the new position. Trouble is I could not. I found one post with a reference to use CTRL key for subselecting the part. I tried on my Win PC all sorts of combinations, but all it did was producing a copy without history of the whole part. Also thats exactly whats happening when I try to move the part interactively. Sometimes I manage that only the cutout is highlighed, but when I click it to move it I am moving the whole block with the cutout.

I do remember I managed once to select a hole in a part and move that around, but I am not sure if thats technically the same and sadly, I could reproduce it any more (suddenly worked after long trials but then I could tell how I did it...:-(

I am sure there is something very basic what I am missing and i would gladly appreciate any advice. Luckily the system is so efficient that I usually get around this by deleting the whole feature and redoing it. Also I found that I can use the Move Face feature to easily subselect substructures of a solid and move that very intuitively -> great tool! Its not preferable though as with more complex parts it make the part history unnecessary long and complex.

best regards
hans

PS: I am still looking for some 2nd level introduction-type reading for new users, so I can spare you the most silly questions. I have not found a post or thead on that topic. I found some useful posts with general understanding q&a with "newbie" in the title. Thats great, so I can have the most useful information in one forum search.
On anything else I appreciate a link or other hint.

I am using V6 Pro Build 856 on Win2k.
NickB  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2011 12:44:05 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It looks like you have a very good feel for the limitations of the tools and modeling structure / history. Certain things can be done, but they are often difficult to do, or as you rightly point out just complicate the history further which makes editing the model later even harder.

To avoid complicated hard to edit model trees I often find myself remodeling parts several times to reduce the number of transforms, or other features in the tree that I know can create problems.

In your example, you can edit the position of the second cube, if you can go back in the history, and find, then change the coordinates of the move or transform that you did to get the second cube into place. In practice that is very difficult, and it is often easier to just remove or suppress the boolean, then undo the transform so that you can move the cube into the new location.

All of this is complicated by the fact that geometric primitives, blocks etc, are not supposed to have a history until after they have been edited (although this is currently broken and transforms on primitives do sometimes unpredictably create histories), however if you created that same block by extruding from a sketch, every operation you do to it will create history.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
billbedford  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2011 2:07:54 AM(UTC)
billbedford

I can't remember whether this is in v6 or not, but in v7 there is a 'Replace Solid' in the Feature Tree Menu. To use this first draw a replacement shape then select the object with a boolean, select the boolean in the feature tree, bring up the menu and select 'Replace Solid'. Select the object to be replaced in the feature tree and then its replacement in the drawing.
hans  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2011 5:13:05 AM(UTC)
hans

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post

In your example, you can edit the position of the second cube, if you can go back in the history, and find, then change the coordinates of the move or transform that you did to get the second cube into place. In practice that is very difficult, and it is often easier to just remove or suppress the boolean, then undo the transform so that you can move the cube into the new location.

All of this is complicated by the fact that geometric primitives, blocks etc, are not supposed to have a history until after they have been edited (although this is currently broken and transforms on primitives do sometimes unpredictably create histories), however if you created that same block by extruding from a sketch, every operation you do to it will create history.

Thanks for the good feedback. I noticed that further down the tree transformation nodes allowed to change the position from part movement. In the example even when I move the box to be subtracted before the boolean operation I do not get any transforms. Are you aware of a way to bring the software to actually add a movement transform before it. I am thinking like do something with it and then reverse-apply the effect before the boolean operation (thats keeping the initial creation as solid box vs. extrusion where I'm ending up in not-planar hell all the time...)?

I am not sure I got the suppression thing. Apparently when I suppress the boolean the operation is not effective, but I do not get further control over the second cube. By removing it indeed I get back the second cube and could move it. I think that works for the example. Do you see how this could work as well if the final part would have a stack of boolean operations? In that case I would need to move the redone boolean from the end of the feature tree up to the old position. I saw a reposition command, but as I already had trouble sometime to suppress a feature I would be worried to stable this would leave my part history.

hans
hans  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2011 5:35:51 AM(UTC)
hans

Originally Posted by: billbedford Go to Quoted Post
I can't remember whether this is in v6 or not, but in v7 there is a 'Replace Solid' in the Feature Tree Menu. To use this first draw a replacement shape then select the object with a boolean, select the boolean in the feature tree, bring up the menu and select 'Replace Solid'. Select the object to be replaced in the feature tree and then its replacement in the drawing.

Hi billbedford,

This function is in v6 as well. I admit I did not understand how to use it. I tried your suggestion and works well. I do get back the other block. I think by pressing CTRL while selecting the part I can keep my newly created replacement, if not its consumed in the original part.

Actually I had some trouble when I tried to delete the freed part. Its warning me about the dependencies that will get deleted. I thought there should be no dependencies left, so I did.
I tried this on a solid with a total of 4 boolean subtracts. There the deleting of dependencies it took a long time (30secs) and when it came back had almost deleted the history tree of the part. It could be undone, however. Maybe I had to suppress the boolean before replace?
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 11:34:09 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Hi Hans

The default behavior for a subtraction is to consume part 2. As you've noted, you can then only access the features of the part 2 through the tree.

However, there is an option key at the time you do the subtraction to retain part 2. See video below. In this case, you will need to manage the display of part 2 either through layers or show hide.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/videos/subtract.mp4

Hope this helps!

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
blowlamp  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 11:54:09 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Tim, do keep these videos coming as I'm finding them to be very useful and I'm sure others will too.
Thanks.

Martin.
Tim Olson  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 12:03:24 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

I noticed that the associativity between the two parts involved in the subtraction was tied to the feature operation of Part 2 at the time of the subtraction. In 962 I changed it so the subtract is now tied to "part 2" instead of the particular feature operation.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/videos/parentUpdate.mp4

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Jean-Francois Jacques  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 2:01:13 PM(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques

Canada

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Very Good! Tim!
METEORE DESIGN / KEKO Stand
Jean-Francois Jacques, Industrial Designer
SharkCad Pro V14 B1653
Platform macOS 14 Sonoma
hans  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 7:00:41 PM(UTC)
hans

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
I noticed that the associativity between the two parts involved in the subtraction was tied to the feature operation of Part 2 at the time of the subtraction. In 962 I changed it so the subtract is now tied to "part 2" instead of the particular feature operation.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/videos/parentUpdate.mp4

Tim

Tim,
I can't believe that you did the video extra to help me with my question. What a bummer! Thanks a lot.
I think I did use the retain part operation of the boolean (press CTRL in Windows). However, I did not note that any further action of the remaining part influences the first one (I do not know what the software does - copy the data into a new instance or retain the original part and keep it visible). Thats because I used to 2nd part to move it to another place an do different things with it. The boolean did not change.

But what you show is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I just tried it and works like a charm. GREAT.

Maybe you can help me with a similar situation. Yesterday I was working at d a part with multiple drills. The drill tool works great but I made a mistake in the initial placement and got all drills with an offset. I tried to select and move them but I could not do it. I was sure I had that done once before. The method you showed my would work if I would take cylinder booelan subtracts for each drill. However it would not give me the nice counter bore features so easy. Is there a way to get a hole moved after the part has been deselected? I could change diameter only.

Regards
Hans
Tim Olson  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10:11:47 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>Is there a way to get a hole moved after the part has been deselected?

At the time you create the hole you can have a point created at the center. Moving the point entity then moves the hole center. Unfortunately I do not have a way to turn on that point after its been created. After its been created with out a point, you might try the Move Face tool.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
billbedford  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:08:48 AM(UTC)
billbedford

I you right to left select the hole the centre point shows. You can then move the hole with the text input fields. Obviously this will only work if you can isolate the hole from the background clutter.
hans  
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:52:17 AM(UTC)
hans

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
At the time you create the hole you can have a point created at the center. Moving the point entity then moves the hole center.
Tim

I think thats absolutly vital information. I would never have guessed that I'd loose history modification capability without the point. Tim, if there is no way to later turn on the point, maybe it would be possible to invert the creation logic to "'ctrl' to create without history" and make the point the default.

Originally Posted by: billbedford Go to Quoted Post
I you right to left select the hole the centre point shows. You can then move the hole with the text input fields.

Ok, I noted that with the point I do have a leaf in the history tree with position coordinates. I am able to change them the same way as other hole parameters.
Billbedfort, although I was able with l/r select to make the point data show up in the Object info dialog, initially it is not shown in the viewport but only when you move the mouse over the circle again.
As you say I can modify parameters. That means I can not do anything with the mouse like grab and move the point. I did try various ways but could not select the center point (thus not tranform it).

hans