logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hadmack  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:38:21 PM(UTC)
hadmack

Is there a convenient way to input special characters in ViaCAD? There are a number of unicode engineering symbols I would like to use (e.g. counterbore, countersink, depth, diameter, etc.) but inputing them into ViaCAD with the Mac character palette does not display right.
The characters always paste into the ViaCAD text field in a much smaller size and display in the drawing like a subscript.
I have tried varying the fonts used but not luck yet.
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:02:38 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hadmack Go to Quoted Post
Is there a convenient way to input special characters in ViaCAD? There are a number of unicode engineering symbols I would like to use (e.g. counterbore, countersink, depth, diameter, etc.) but inputing them into ViaCAD with the Mac character palette does not display right.
The characters always paste into the ViaCAD text field in a much smaller size and display in the drawing like a subscript.
I have tried varying the fonts used but not luck yet.

Hi Mike

Did you try Arial Unicode MS font yet?

plusminus alt+0177
deg alt+0176
diameter alt+0216
counter bore is U2334
countersink is U2335

the cb and cs I copy off windows character map and paste and do not see issues with sizing.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
ZeroLengthCurve  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:51:28 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I will have to double-check my memory, but in the past couple of days I tried to enter some and they went to block shapes. I'll try again tonight.

It might be nice if there were alias fields so that when we have a BOM or spreadsheet of parts names, we could 1-1 match them based on a list. Then, as with dual-dimensioning (yeh, a book titled "Technical Drawing and Design" by Louis Gary Lamit, from 1994 said dual dimensioning could or should become a thing of the past based on CAD systems being digital...), we could have alternative names for parts based on the audience or shop receiving the work.

This could save a lot of translation time and mistakes, assuming that someone conversant with the target language is involved with the list-making. As time goes by, the list could grow, and as we add field titles/entries to the layers and items we could have drop-down/pop-up suggestions.