logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hadmack  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2009 3:24:33 PM(UTC)
hadmack

I am having trouble using the Model to Sheet tool. When ever perform a model to sheet operation my part is displayed with 0.040" pen weight. As far as I can tell I have to select each view individually, select all and then change the pen weight to something reasonable. But then when I change the solid model and regenerate the sheet views the line weights go back to 0.040". I don't understand what is happening here. Is there some preference somewhere that sets the pen weight used when performing a model to sheet?

Similarly is it possible to set default styles for the dimensioning tools? Thanks.
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2009 4:53:33 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi hadmack

Model to sheet should use the default pen weight when you create the model to sheet, or change your part and regen the sheet views.

goto pen --> weight set default weight and then use model to sheet.

yes you can set some dim standards. llok at some other post here and

http://forum.punchcad.com/showt...2492&highlight=dimension

regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
la mouche  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:59:59 AM(UTC)
la mouche

hello,

to always have its default settings, the miracle is: Startup.dat

create a blank file with ALL personalized settings.

save your file: Startup.dat and put it in the application folder.

restart SharkFX.

and yesss!!! you work on a blank file with your preferred settings.

cordialy

Antoine
hadmack  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:17:31 PM(UTC)
hadmack

Thanks for the tips. It turned out that I needed to define new line styles for "visible" and "dashed" since it doesn't seem that you can redefine the builtin styles. Then I used these styles when performing Model to sheet.

It is somewhat frustrating that the default line weights are for much larger drawings. My parts are smaller than 1" so my drawing scale is 2:1 or 3:1 so dashed lines show as solid until I redefine the dash style for a scale of 0.2. Is there some better way to have these defaults scale for the size drawing I am working on?

I have also noticed that when I draw a line inside one of the viewports and then change its length the line origin jumps to another part of the viewport. Has anyone else noticed this behavior?
jdi000  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:39:13 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Originally Posted by: hadmack Go to Quoted Post

It is somewhat frustrating that the default line weights are for much larger drawings. My parts are smaller than 1" so my drawing scale is 2:1 or 3:1 so dashed lines show as solid until I redefine the dash style for a scale of 0.2. Is there some better way to have these defaults scale for the size drawing I am working on?

Same as getting the default line weights you want. You can set your linetype/ line pattern scale in the create new pen style box so you can have the scale what you want when you build the model to sheet.

Regards
Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
pen style.PNG (7kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
jdi000  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:23:53 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Another particularly troubling tools is the center mark dimension. What does the axis overlap parameter do. In a 2:1 drawing view I have to set this parameter to 0.0001" and I still get a center mark that is at least as large as the 0.130" hole that I want it to mark. Can I get a smaller center cross? This sounds like another scaling issue.

Hi hadmack

The value is only the overlap so your the dimension center mark is sized by the circle size + overlap.

I think there is a need for a negative overlap value... So a center mark can just be a small crosshair, or maybe a new option under center mark dimension is just user sized cross...

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
jdi000  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:15:30 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

I am still quite confused about how scaling works. I have a part on which I used model-to-sheet with a scale of 2:1. I have defined custom line styles that work for the visible and hidden lines at this scale. The problem I have now is when I want to draw a new line with a centerline dash to it, not only do I have to change the line weight but I also have to adjust the scale from 1 to 0.5 for the dash to display properly.

I realize that I can define a custom style with my preferences for this style but it does not feel very intuitive. I wish that the was a way to adjust scale from within the Object Info window.

Agree there needs to be an eaiser way to change line pattern scale. I would prefer a rt click option, but adding to object info would be great as well...

I guess my question is, how does the scale value affect way objects are drawn? Under what circumstances would the default weights and dashing be appropriate without modifications? Is there anyway to modify the default styles rather than creating custom styles.

The lineweights are scaled like in your example 2:1 so if the center line style is .020 weight its .04" in your draw view. The new lines you draw are the default for the pen style selected and scaled to the view.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
hadmack  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:22:20 PM(UTC)
hadmack

So if I set the line weight in a 2:1 view to 0.01" it will print as 0.02"? That explains why my lines look so different on 2:1 prints and 4:1 prints.