logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hman_mit  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 29, 2010 10:32:14 PM(UTC)
hman_mit

Hello, all -

I'm pretty new to Punch software. Been trying to garble my way through some designs, first with ViaCad, now with Shark.

I think my major problem is because of differences from the "heavy duty" CAD software I was using during my many years at HP - CoCreate's OneSpace Designer, aka SolidDesigner.

I'm used to drawing a profile on a workplane, then using it to extrude or turn a solid. All well and good. Shark works much the same way. The difference/problem comes when I want to define a new solid with a different 2D profile. I used to just be able to delete the old workplane and start a new one with new 2D geometry. Not so with Shark. It has just one workplane, which can be moved around as needed, but the 2D stuff stays with it. I keep having trouble with "too many lines/curves". It's pretty difficult to selectively choose exactly the elements I need for the new body.

My only solution thus far has been to delete all "used" lines/curves from the workplane before I start drawing new ones for another body. Of course, this gets me dire a warning about the body I've just created.

I must be missing something here. What's wrong with my approach? How do you keep down the "clutter" of used-but-no-longer-needed 2D features?

Thanks!

- John Herrmann
hman_mit
L. Banasky  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:18:43 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 101 post(s)
Hi John,
I have the same problem. If you right click, there is a selection to "HIDE" objects, select "hide all curves". If you want to keep everything together, I usually "GROUP" the object, but sometimes that brings up other problems. Others with more experience, hopefully will offer more solutions.
Larry
jdi000  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:09:33 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi John

You could also try keeping your 2d geometry on separate layers, then turn off construction geometry when not needed.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
jlm  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:48:47 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Hi John,
My advice is to create one layer for each solid part, with sublayers for :
- Geometry construction (lines & splines)
- Surface construction (used to trim, split, etc)
- volume construction (sub-elements kept separately to keep clear history).

I've been doing this for many years and when I open an old file (even before Shark), I immediately find everything clean and ready to be modified...
JL
NickB  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 11:56:44 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Like other have already said. Layers are your friend.

I always construct models with each part or object on a separate layer or sub-layer, with 2d and 3d sketch geometry on sub-sub layers. If I ever need to cut an object with a surface, or solid I also make sure to save the unwanted part or parts on a layer that I call trash that is associated with that part. Never delete sketch geometry unless you are absolutely certain that you will not need it, much better to just save it to another layer.

Additionally I always try and create the model on a child layer rather than a parent layer. That way it is easy to turn off the solid and concentrate on the construction and vice-versa. See the example screenshots for clarification.
NickB attached the following image(s):
screenshot 03.png (60kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
screenshot 044.png (67kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
zumer  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 3, 2010 11:59:32 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
John, Shark and ViaCAD aren't restricted to one workplane, and they're frequently not as dependent on workplanes as CoCreate is/was. They don't "move objects around with the workplane", so all I can imagine that's happening is that you're using one plane only. But, when you need to, you can define a workplane anywhere you like. Go to the workplane menu, click "new workplane", give it a name, establish the axis coordinates either by direct data entry or by following the intellicursor to features and clicking on them, and there y'go. You don't have to go to those lengths, though: right click, go to workplane in the context menu (unless you're drawing a curve. A Shark/VC idiosyncracy is that curve tools disable the right-click context menu. In that case, use the menu) and you've got a choice of methods of defining them locally, along with a list of any named planes you've defined earlier. Also, hover your cursor over an object and press "C" (I'm assuming Windows, which is PC paternalism, I know, but I don't Mac so I don't know if that's true), the WP indicator will display and cycle through the planes the program finds locally relevant, which can save you having to define another.
Deleting elements, as you describe, breaks the links between generators and bodies. You're destroying the associative ability to edit profiles and paths. VC and Shark encourage you to use the advantages of associativity, not surrender them because you didn't pay enough!
Layers are useful for sequestration, but you've also got the show-and-hide visibility attributes to take advantage of, for working around other objects and generators.