logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gsjames  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:58:48 PM(UTC)
gsjames

For literally YEARS now, I have been trying to make decent 'expanding radius' fillets (like those on the Supermarine Spitfire) on wing/fuselage junctions for both full-size and model airplanes. I have tried every trick that I can think of without success. So, I thought I'd throw it out to the general audience in hope that someone can show me how.

Attached is a file for a new Q-40 model race plane (AMA event #422). It is loosely based on the AR-6 "Endeavor" Formula One race plane at Reno, but the model is "cartoon scale" to meet the event requirements. It is the intent to use a 3D CNC mill to cut out the male plug from REN board and then pull molds off of that. The wing and horizontal tail plugs have already been cut but I need to finish the fuselage. The fuselage plug should have the wing saddle removed, and the fillets added.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
gsjames attached the following image(s):
Tall Tail AR-6.jpg (25kb) downloaded 15 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
gsjames  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 5:00:01 PM(UTC)
gsjames

The upload file function is failing. I will continue to try to upload it.
Tim Olson  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:49:52 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Hi Gary
Can you zip and upload?
Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
kevjon  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 27, 2014 4:05:33 AM(UTC)
kevjon

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
2 Rail Sweep ?This is the technique Marek Rys used a few years ago when he was using Rhino. Its a Hawker Hurricane who's fillet is much smaller than the Spitfire but the principle is the same.

Edited by moderator Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:21:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kevjon attached the following image(s):
Hurricane_tut_6last.jpg (46kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
Hurricane_tut_10last.jpg (45kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
Hurricane_tut_11alast.jpg (67kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

gsjames  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 27, 2014 1:52:13 PM(UTC)
gsjames

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
Hi Gary
Can you zip and upload?
Tim

Tim: I tried that too, and it still didn't work. Obviously I am doing something stupid. It's not a big file. I emailed it to your evo-soft address, perhaps you can figure out how to upload it.

On a personal note old friend, my wife and I are building a new house near Lake Weatherford, and it turns out that we are building just across the street from John Bruce and wife. What a small world to move, by chance, next to someone that we both worked with over 35 years ago...
gsjames  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 27, 2014 1:56:51 PM(UTC)
gsjames

Originally Posted by: kevjon Go to Quoted Post
2 Rail Sweep ?

This is the technique [URL="http://www.airart3d.com/"]Marek Rys[/URL] used a few years ago when he was using Rhino.
Its a Hawker Hurricane who's fillet is much smaller than the Spitfire but the principle is the same.

Thanks Kevjon: I've tried just about every variation of 2-rail sweep that I can think of but to no avail. Perhaps my technique is just wrong. I'll keep playing with it and try to upload it.
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:49:15 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Hi Gary
I was able to get a 0.2 (up to 0.5 in some areas) inch variable radius blend to work if I split off the trailing edge.

The convexity and end capping in that area is too complex for ACIS to blend. At the split, I assigned a variable radius value of 0.01.

Since the variable radius tool only works on solid objects, you will need to boolean the fuselage surface to the wing to get a solid object. Be sure to change direction of the surface to get the proper material direction.

I like your use of polyconics, makes a nice fuselage!

*>>the street from John Bruce and wife.
Be sure to say hi to John from me!

Tim
Tim Olson attached the following image(s):
trailingedge.jpg (21kb) downloaded 14 time(s).
leadingEdge.png (89kb) downloaded 18 time(s).

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore