logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gsjames  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2010 1:51:31 PM(UTC)
gsjames

This will come across as a somewhat "nasty" letter. It's not that I'm trying to be nasty, I'm just going to lay it on the line and tell you like it is.

A rhetorical question: What is it, if anything, that makes Shark /AP at all superior to other, less expensive CAD software packages for people who are interested in designing general aviation airplanes? Answer: the AeroPack plugin and that's all... Rhino can do everything that Shark can and has a larger installed base and community support.

From my point of view, the AeroPack plugin is the ONLY thing that gives Shark an advantage over other packages for aircraft design and AeroPack is BROKEN, IT DOESN'T WORK CORRECTLY. There are several significant errors in AeroPack that have NEVER been addressed or fixed. It's been YEARS. Having actually been employed as a REAL preliminary design guy, (just across the room from Tim Olson) and not just some college kid or EAA yahoo who thinks he's an aircraft preliminary designer, I KNOW how the features are supposed to work. I've even gone to the trouble of documenting the problems in depth on both the DARCorp forum: http://forum.airplanedesign.aero/viewforum.php?f=6 and the Punch CAD forum, AND I even worked with Tim Olson, directly, real-time, showing him the problems and why Shark/AeroPack is sadly deficient for actual airplane design work. Has anyone actually DONE anything about it? NO!

The polyconic surfaces functions don't work correctly, bodies of differing lengths which use the same control lines, don't match up at the MHB line. That means that I can't use the generated surfaces to make actual parts. Also, the software is incapable of making increasing wing-body radius fillets, such as on the Spitfire. It is also incapable of making a decent wing-body fillet on tapered wings. (polyconic surface tangent to edges)

Given that the only functions that make Shark/AP unique or superior in ANY way DON"T WORK, why should I drop another $495 for an upgrade to a piece of software that won't solve the problem? The answer is that I don't intend to and I can't recommend that anyone else do so. If and when the deficiencies in AeroPack that make it inadequate for actual aircraft design work get fixed, THEN I will gladly drop another $495 for an upgraded piece of software that actually works correctly. Until then, I'll keep my money in my pocket.

I'm sorry if the tone of this letter offends you, but I'd rather lay it on the line and have you know the real reasons than to be in the dark.
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:20:36 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>The polyconic surfaces functions don't work correctly, bodies of differing >>lengths which use the same control lines, don't match up at the MHB line.

Gary
Give this a try in the 945 build. We improved the surface fitting algorithm such that polyconics with different control lines now matches up. I also emailed you a movie regening the fuselage using the new algorithm.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Birger  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:16:37 AM(UTC)
Birger

Man
Norway

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
And where is the 945 build link then?
For us who actually have paid for the upgrade long time ago it is frustrating that the upgrade and SP1 very much is like a beta months later.

And there are still plenty of old, old, bugs to fix and serious issues with more complex files of a certain size. The SBOD cursor is dominant much too often !!
Sorry for the rant, but using this for pro use is a mixed experience at times.
Birger
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2010 10:27:39 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>And where is the 945 build link then?

SP1 is not yet released. 945 is the next beta build we will be uploading and sending out to the beta team.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore